Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless connection, same laptops get disconnected

I have a small network, about 35 computers.
There is 20 LAN PC computers (they use dns, active directory, dhcp), and there is 10 laptops. They connect on same D-Link wireless router( radius server authentication).

After most of laptops is operational(connected on wireless router and on domain ), same two laptops always disconnect, and they can't regain connection . All laptops also get their ip addresses through dhcp.

I tried all kind of wireless router configuration, I don't think it is dhcp or dns server problem, remote access policy is also very simple ...

So, does anyone has any idea Happy

Thank you guys in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connection, same laptops get disconnected
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connection, same laptops get disconnected
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given it's only those two.

In reply to: Wireless connection, same laptops get disconnected

They could be those machines we know do that. I can't list all the make and models but dv6000's did this a lot. The fix often ends in a debate but those that deal with many makes and models know what's going on.

While changing the wifi card in the laptop cures it for awhile, those models only fail again later. There's a lesson in this.
Bob

Collapse -
same hardware configuration

In reply to: Given it's only those two.

I'm not sure if machines are problem. From 10 laptops , 7 have same hardware configuration and manufactuer, and they are all from the same supplier, and 5 from 7 are working properly in my wireless network.

Collapse -
Patch levels

In reply to: same hardware configuration

Had a similar issue a number of PC would drop but ours could reconnect. Even after we reinstalled all software it continued to happen. Turned out to be a tiny difference in the bios levels.

The DHCP/DNS thing is easy to test just hard code these in the TCP settings but these seldom cause sudden drop and failure to reconnect....normally it just never works. Note if you are running a VPN with split tunnel disabled and a short DHCP timeout you will get drops. The DHCP renew messages will be sent inside the tunnel and never be responded to.

First thing to look at is the event logs. Normally you will get tons of error messages when you are getting authentication issues. You also get lots of good informational messages as to what is actually succeeding.

Radius based authentication is always much more challenging. The errors you want to look for are timeouts values to re authenticate. Most good designs require the PC to resupply credentials on a regular basis. This tends to be certificates or userid/password. The most common problem occur when the end PC has issues reaching the server that has the certificates/userids but the radius server can. Your radius server should have some log messages.

The my pc dropped on the wireless is the most common ticket we get from our users. Have a ticket now from a user complaining that his session drops while he is in the elevator but not if he takes the stairs. This is a radius issue because we cannot authenticate fast enough as he moves from ap to ap... see if the user is willing to pay to have a fiber run to the elevator so we can install a ap there.

Collapse -
So this is secret information?

In reply to: same hardware configuration

It's a shame. It could be models that we know about.

And your claim about the same hardware only makes it harder for the new IT staffer. Later they learn to not accept that as a reason it should work.

I could go on but given the lack of information I think you should make this a warranty support issue with the machine's maker.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.