Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

WIRELESS CONNECTION NOT WORKING

by Rambone23 / May 28, 2010 9:57 AM PDT

Hey all,
I am having some issues with my wireless connection and can't seem to figure out why.
If the internet is plugged directly in, there are no problems, and wireless was working in the past, but is getting increasingly worse to the point that it does not work at all.
At first, the connection was showing as: connected - no internet access. So, we would refresh the network connections a few times and it would reconnect. But now, it doesnt even show that my network is my home network, the computer seems to think that it is public and an unidentified network. Its showing as no network access. Signal strength is at full strength, and the router is not far away. I dont think that we did or changed anything, can't figure out why this is happening now.
The router and modem have been rebooted several times.
We have a PS3 and a downstairs roommate that is running a VIOP type phone and computer from the router as well, but they are all wired directly to the router. This issue is happening even when the other equipment is not running.

I have a brand new HP laptop running windows 7.
The router is a dlink dir 615.

HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIRELESS CONNECTION NOT WORKING
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIRELESS CONNECTION NOT WORKING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So no settings shared.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2010 10:54 PM PDT

I'll start with the usual.

1. Router firmware up to date.
2. Router defaults.
3. WPA for security.

I've found this to cure many ailing setups too often. However the 614 and 615 may fail under "load" like torrents and voip. The cure is another model.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. This thread was cleaned up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: So no settings shared.

Sorry that the forum software does that but posting the information did help. Some things are best kept private like your current IP address and email addresses.

For those that missed out, it looks like changing to WPA Personal helped. We'll hope this holds up with time.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm back!
by Rambone23 / June 12, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

Ok, so everything seemed to be working fine until this morn. when we are back to the same problem! Everything that is physically connected to the router is working, but wireless cannot connect at all.
I thought it was quite odd that it was working so well for a week or two.....
WHen I went into my advanced wireless settings, I see there is a box called WLAN partition, should this box be checked?
all of my other settings have been changed to WPA-2

P.S. Thanks Bob for deleting my info, I didn't realize that some of that should not be on the net for all to see!

Collapse -
WLAN partition
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm back!

Is known by too many names. I would need the product manual (you supply that) and the page to see if this is the usual CLIENT ISOLATION that gives so many grief.

Since it worked for some time it was possible it was some kid friendly interference but to figure it out now I almost have to be there.

Again, reset the router and make 2 changes. The SSID and WPA. WPA2 sometimes gives some machines pain.
Bob

Collapse -
SSID
by Rambone23 / June 13, 2010 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: WLAN partition

Ok, so, Im not really sure what is going on now.

I went to change the SSID, and I saw an option that says to turn on WPA encryption.
Do I check this box? Should I have checked this box when I originally changed it to WPA?
So, if I change my SSID name, then I create a new connection in the network settings of my laptop, and it just does the same thing that it was doing before: Trying to identify network, keeps thinking that it is public and says connected but with no internet access. I also changed the WPA2 to WPA at this time.
So, then I just plug the internet in and there is my old network name and it connects fine... So that really confused me, becuase I didnt think that it would be there anymore since I changed the name.
So, do I have to use the disk and re - install it on my laptop and change the info there?

As for the manual, the router did not come with much except for an easy set-up brochure.
I also had a friend say that I may have malware, but I have run the anti-malwar program and everything is ok there

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2010 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: SSID

But without WPA or better protection, there is kid friendly software to hijack and interfere with your wifi. If you can't get it secured I strongly suggest turning off the wifi and staying wired.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Rambone23 / June 13, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

So, it shows that wpa is on, but I am asking if I have to have the encryption on as well??
and why does my old network name show up when I change the SSID?

Collapse -
Why the OLD shows up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

You didn't tell WHERE it shows up but one of the bad things folk do is called the EVIL TWIN.

Here's the article about it -> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5630181-1.html

This is not something new. Evil Twins are just one of the problems I am writing about here.

This is why I am coming across strongly about wifi security.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Rambone23 / June 14, 2010 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the OLD shows up.

I understand, and I want my connection to be completly secure.
The old connection is showing up in my network and sharing cenre. I was trying to add a screen shot to this post, but I can't really figure it out. but basically the old connection with the old name shows up as soon as I plug in the wire. if it is wireless, it tries to connect to my new network, but says "connected, no internet access" and it doesn't even show full strength whicdh it did before.

This is all in my network and sharing centre. Im using windows 7

Collapse -
Let's remove that entry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: ok
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.