Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless connection no internet access?

by kytten09 / May 11, 2010 3:15 AM PDT

Hi, I have an hp laptop(g60 series) running windows 7 and I have major problems with my internet connection. It started two weeks ago, and I called my internet service provider which directed me to the HP line, but they didn't help at all. Finally my sister played around with the plugs(the wireless/router) and it worked for a day. But it doesn't work anymore..? I don't know what the problem is. I turned off the router/wireless box and waited then switched it back on, I also plug things and out. And I tried plugging the cord into my laptop but I can't get the internet there either...?

When I called HP they said I probably have a virus, and something was wrong with my IP address. But I ran scans and my computer is running normally. I also have norton anti virus. I know i'm rambling, but I really need help. I already called/turned it off and on...everything that's suppose to help it. Should I take it into geeksquad? Idk, what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connection no internet access?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connection no internet access?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You do have options.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 3:22 AM PDT

Since the machine doesn't work with your network, did you try another hotspot?

Also, the system recovery wipes out all (your files and) but the boot sector virus which is what your best buy folk do most of the time. You can save 100+ bucks by doing that yourself.

But FIRST, do what Grif tells you at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=378815&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Second, my HPs have this wifi on/off button. You didn't tell if you used that.

LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT is Norton kills the internet (other titles too!) when it expires. Tell us about the antivirus used.
Bob

Collapse -
:3
by kytten09 / May 12, 2010 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: You do have options.

It works at other hotspots, just not my network.
& The wifi is on.

Collapse -
We have a discussion about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: :3

They had a model 614 router and had some machines that won't connect. After getting softened up by troubles, they finally replaced it. I wonder if yours is a similar issue?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!