General discussion

Wireless connection from Laptop using Windows7

I need to access the internet from a Laptop using Windows7 via a TP-Link modem/Router on a Desktop using WindowsXP. Can do if no security! With security set to WPA-P2k on XP, Laptop cannot find the Access point (i.e. TP Link Router). Both PCs have same Workgroup and the network setup has been transferred from the XP to the Laptop. WindowsXP works fine - why not the Laptop?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wireless connection from Laptop using Windows7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless connection from Laptop using Windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not understanding something here

A wireless internet connection should not have anything to do with the other PC unless ICS is set up or you're trying to use some Ad Hoc connection. Both should be able to go right to the AP without even knowing the other exists. How do you have all of this set up?

- Collapse -
Wireless connection from Laptop using Windows 7

Thank you Steven. I hear what you say and agree in as much as it is the modem/router that cannot be accessed and the security is set within the modem router. If I disable the router security everything is OK . That is not an acceptable option. WEP is a low level security. That is why I have chosen WPA-P2K which is the highest level that will work with the TP-LINK router on the Desktop XP machine which is cable connected through the LAN to the router. I have set up the router from its own set up program (192.168.1.1) and, as I say, without any security, all is OK.

- Collapse -
Should be fine except.

Many routers have firewalls that I find too hard for today's owners at times.

And then you have that account, password, share and more issues between XP and 7. Not to duplicate the web but I don't see how you addressed that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Wireless connection from laptop using windows 7

Windows 7 has many network related settings and incorrect configuration of these settings can result in problems connecting to wireless Internet. Windows 7 users facing wireless Internet related issues are recommended to check settings such as access points, IP address in use, DNS server in use and ensure they are configured properly. It is also suggested that users check the settings of the firewall on the system and make sure it is not blocking the connection. If the issue has come up after changing some of the settings, then changing them back to original state would solve the problems.

- Collapse -
Wireless connection from Laptop using Windows 7

Thank you all for your contributions and helpful comments. I still don't know what the real problem was but today everything suddenly came right. At one point a dialog box appeared asking for the connection password. This had already been entered in the Security section under managing wireless connections. After re-entering the password in the dialog box everything has been fine. After re-starting the PC, The password is no longer required - X fingers it stays that way!
Regards to all
Norm Smith

CNET Forums