Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless connection dieing

by Hodgelett / July 20, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

I have a Toshiba Tecra M3 with an inbuilt wireless card, a DLink router and a Tiscali broadband connection to that.
Pretty frequently the connection goes from 54.0mbps down to 1.0mbps with a few from inbetween. When clicking 'repair' it comes up with 'The wireless adapter could not be disconnected.'
The computer which is connected straight to the router via an ethernet cable also suffers from lost bandwidth - but only when the laptop is also connected to the wireless. At other times it is fine (if you call getting only 512KB/s when you pay for 8MB/s fine, but that's BT's fault).
Sometimes switching the router on and off fixes the problem. Sometimes it doesn't.
Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless connection dieing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless connection dieing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem here and a few ideas as to what it could be
by darrenforster99 / July 21, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

I have been having the same problem recently with mine.

I've got a BT Voyager 2100 Wireless Router with a BT Voyager PCI wireless card in my computer. I'm with Eclipse for broadband internet, not Tiscali.

With mine it will sit there as if connected, but only at 1Mbps not 54Mbps as the router will do, yet when I go to anywhere on the internet everything comes up Server error, and even going to the routers homepage (192.168.1.1) also does the same thing. When looking at the IP properties of the wireless card it comes up with some random IP address starting 169.254.119.106 subnet 255.255.0.0 not the 192.168.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0 it's supposed to have. The other way I can tell when it's gone wrong is by looking at Skype as Skype's icon goes from green (connected) to grey (not connected).

I've also done full checks with both AVG and Norton to make sure there is no spyware/adware anywhere on the computer.

Also sometimes I experience a situation where the laptop can't detect the Wi-Fi signal even when I'm sat waving the wireless box around the laptop.

My only thought to this is that it could possibly be the current heatwave that's interfering with radio waves at present. Having done amatuer radio I know radio waves can be affected by all sorts of things (especially heat), but I wouldn't have expected them to be so severely affected, so much so that a device can't even hear them when sat right next to them.

One other problem we've found in our house as well is that electronic detectors give a lot of false readings in the walls, when we were putting in Sky we tried everywhere in the wall to find out where there wasn't an electric cable and every wall beeped, in the end we just took a chance and drilled, and found out that it was a false reading. My only thought to this is that somewhere in our house we probably have something that's giving off a hell of a lot of electro-magnetic radiation and is affecting all types of electro sensitive objects, the only problem is what figuring out what?? The only thing I can think of which would give off such power is the power station but that's at least 7 miles from where I live (Bewsey in Warrington to Fiddlers Ferry, Warrington/Widnes)

If anyone has an answer to this problem it would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Varying speed is common with 802.11
by pratapan / July 21, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

Connection speed is determined by two things. The signal strength at the client and the RF noise in the area. As distance between the AP and the client increase, signal drops. Every wall, window or solid object reduces signal strength by 3db. If you have a strong signal but there is noise, the radio will try a slower speed (54, 48, 36, 24, 18, 12, 9, 6mbps) to try and compensate for the noise. Do you have any neighbors using wireless. If they are using the same channel as you, only one person can talk at a time so you and they will see reduced bandwidth despite seeing a high connection speed. Try changing to another channel (CH1, CH6 or CH11). You can download Netstumbler for free to measure signal strength.

There is always the chance that your router is defective or the radio is a piece of junk. If you lose wireless, you can start netstumbler to see if your router is even sending out BEACON frames.

SKrall

Collapse -
Don't think it's either of those
by Hodgelett / July 21, 2006 5:19 PM PDT

I have excellent signal strength, it's only two rooms away from the router, and there's only a couple of very distant wireless connections, and we did change the channel.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?