Computer Help forum

General discussion

wireless config. notification dll error!

by jhess56 / May 11, 2010 10:09 AM PDT

hi guys, runnin win xp
tried tweaking some startup stuff to cut down on what was running to help speed up my comp

dunno what i did wrong as i thought i turned everything back to the way it was but im still getting this stupid error

"Notification dll
has not been registered program will not work correctly"

immediate upon bootup and starting to access my desktop
toolbar is missing too for some reason?
network connections is empy

tried a few other fixes i found elsewhere,none worked and gave me this message when i tried

ethernet adapter wireless network connection 2:
media state........:media disconnected

ethernet adapter local area connection:
media state........:media disconnected

and if its relevant and helps solve it, as soon as i hit enter, i can get around on y desktop minus the toolbar,yet immediately it pops up not one but two of the same folders system32

and in the services section,it will not let me start alot of the various services that seem like they need to be running to access my wireless stuff

any help is appreciated,thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless config. notification dll error!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless config. notification dll error!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a
by windyriver / May 12, 2010 12:10 AM PDT

System Restore form safe mode

Collapse -
no restore points
by jhess56 / May 12, 2010 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a

thanks for the reply but i stupidly had system restore turned off recently and cleared all old points

Collapse -
Have You Re-enabled The "Wireless Zero" Service Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no restore points

If you disabled any Services in the "Services" settings, make sure that you're re-enable "Wireless Zero Configuration" service.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
wont let me
by jhess56 / May 12, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

in the services section,it will not let me start alot of the various services that seem like they need to be running to access my wireless stuff ie

* Remote procedure call (RPC)
(This service must be started before other services can take effect.).
* Network Connections
(This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
* Plug and Play
* COM+ Event System
(This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
* Remote Access Connection Manager
(This service can only start if Telephony service is active.)
* Telephony
(This service can only start if the RPC service and the PnP Service are active.)

Those are not running and i know that is part of the problem but when i click on 'start' i get this error message. very frustrating!

"could not start the xxx service on local computer. error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start"

Collapse -
The 1068 Error Means Your Services Aren't Running And......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: wont let me

..since it's tough to know what you may have disabled earlier to begin the mass failure, it might be easiest to simply run a "repair" install of XP.. But first, try to get the Telephony, Remote Access Connection Manager, and Remote Access Auto Connection Manager services running. If they start, then proceed on with the other ones you mentioned..

If you still can't start the services necessary, try run the repair install. It should restart all the default services and put you back in working order. Remember to have all your drivers on hand after the reinstall as they may be needed..Backup all of your important files as well as "repair" install usually doesn't damage such but it's better to be safe..

See the link below for a description of a similar issue to yours.. This issue happens to be with XP SP1 but it could be with other Service Pack versions as well. (Unfortunately, you've not told us which SP you have installed.) The fix is to reinstall the operating system using the XP CD..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by jhess56 / May 13, 2010 2:27 AM PDT

thanks grif but i am unable to start any of those relevant services

i get error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start

i have no idea how to fix that so they start

i have been thinking about doing a repair xp install(i have sp3) but i am living out of state at the moment and while i have my winxp product code etc i do not have the physical cd unfortunately

all my probs seem to be caused by somehow deleting this notification.dll file which i found and downloaded on a separate laptop and transfered it to my downed comp via usb drive but am having trouble registering it so far

Collapse -
Just Something To Try...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

You can download the full offline Service Pack 3 installer from the link below. (It's a large download, about 300+ MB, so you'll need a broadband connection to make the download run quicker.) Download the file on a separate computer, then burn it to a CD or flash drive, transfer it the problem machine, then simply run the file.

Reinstalling SP3 won't perform a full reinstall of the operating system, but it does repair a number of things such as Internet Explorer, etc.. It may also reset the services we've been referring to and since you're so far from home, it's worth a try..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
no go
by jhess56 / May 13, 2010 4:40 AM PDT

i may have messed something up in the process but i already tried that
and when i click on it on my other comp it says 'problem with shortcut the drive or network connection is unavalable make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available then try again

did i mess up downloading or transferring it or something?

Collapse -
There Should Be No Shortcut Involved
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: no go

After downloading the 300 MB file on a separate computer, then burning it to a CD, then placing the CD in the problem computer's CD drive, you should be able to open that drive letter from My Computer, double click on the file and it should run.

If it does not, then your only option will be to run the "repair" install from a Windows XP disc.. Such installs are run at bootup, before Windows loads.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
progress not perfection
by jhess56 / May 13, 2010 1:02 PM PDT

ok managed to do that, but when i started to install it i get this

'service pack 3 setup error' setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. make sur ethe cryptographic service is running on this computer.

im gonna try to find this crypto service but i am guessing its one of those services that wont let me start up in the services section

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.