How To forum

Question

Wireless Classroom Network (no internet)

by GenericUserDC / April 14, 2012 5:40 PM PDT

Hello,

I have been tasked with facilitating the set-up of a wireless network within a classroom that will access files from a teacher computer (no internet is available to us whatsoever). The main objective will be to access a Learning Management System called Moodle with a total of 30 laptops. What would be the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this? I will purchase a 'mobile computing lab' (30 laptops in a movable cabinet), but have no idea how to approach the networking issue. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Classroom Network (no internet)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Classroom Network (no internet)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Accessing another PC won't be the problem but
by Steven Haninger / April 14, 2012 8:27 PM PDT

you mentioned two things that might. First, Windows will have a fixed number of PCs that can be accessed at one time unless you run some server edition. Secondly, you mentioned files but also a learning module. Do you mean you need to run software remotely? What I've seen done with some applications in school environments is to use client software on all PCs and store a database on a server device. I set that relationship up in a school myself using Windows XP embedded on a NAS. That one came with a 25 client limit. Setting up the wireless will be as easy as putting up a WiFi router with nothing connected to the WAN port and configuring all devices that pass through it. You'll need to connect via wire to the router at first so you can set up security, IP addressing, etc.

Tell more about whether the laptops will just need to access files from a share or need to actually access software. Tell how many simultaneous connections will be needed. Win XP Pro only allows 10 but I believe Win 7 Ultimate allows 20. I'm not sure about Win 7 Pro.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First hurdle is Windows. The one that most of us has.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

Windows, the home and even Pro versions limit the connections to 5 or 10. So your task means that your first step is to fix that issue. Since you may not be ready to run a full server, get Windows Server 2008 which is not that hard to use. Now install Virtual Router from http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

Step 1 Done!

And with that out of the way you can proceed to test your system.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!