Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Card card connection issues for a PC

by Breag / May 7, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

I have a belkin 802.11g wireless card hooked into my desktop PC and it constantly drops signal and often won't reconnect until i disable the connection and the re-enable it, though this always works. The wireless signal is broadcast by my university and my flatmate receives a steady signal in the same place as my desktop. I tried to update the drivers, but had problems with that. I was wondering if anyone please has any suggestions for me. The specific message it gives is the "wireless connection unavailable" and every so often it goes to no signal and then drops off for a longer period of time. Thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Card card connection issues for a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Card card connection issues for a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems proper. Try a better antenna.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 3:49 AM PDT

Also call your school IT staff to help you out.

Bob

Collapse -
hmm
by Breag / May 7, 2007 3:56 AM PDT

Hmm, thanks. The trouble is that the Uni doesnt offer support for wireless cards in Desktops, only in laptops. Unfortunately i dont have many other options for antennae. I also realized that there are 4 access points that are showing up, so I was wondering if that has caused the problem as well?

Collapse -
Odd. All desktop cards I've used..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Offer me a way to use a better antenna. As to the 4 access points that could be a problem. Be sure you configured them to be on different channels or else you will get strange problems.

Too bad you didn't share the make/model of the desktop card. I could have checked it out a little more.

Bob

Collapse -
Make and model
by Breag / May 7, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

I gave the make and model in the original post. I am not sure if it is what exactly you are looking for but it is a Belkin 802.11g wireless card. How do i configure the channels? I have a feeling that is part of my problem. Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Belkin had more than one 802.11g card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Make and model

Sorry but I'd like a model number to be sure which one.

A link would be nice too.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry i didn't realize
by Breag / May 7, 2007 4:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yup. I have a similar model. I put this antenna on it
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry i didn't realize
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.