TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Wireless cabel from one room to the other?

So this is my problem, i just moved in to a condo and i was snooping around the rooms and i realized that i don't have cable jacks in any of my rooms. I found this out when i just ordered Comast cable for the family room. So i was wondering if there is such a thing that if i got a splitter and took the cable from the wall and wireless send it to the other room. i only need it in one other room witch is me and my wifes room. i asked Comcast if they would run a new jack for me but they said sens i live in a condo they will not run any thing for me because if electric lines and what ever they come up with. so just to recap i just need to run coax from the wall (no box) to a wireless transmitter and send it to an other room that does not have a wall jack so then i can watch cable in that room. well thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless cabel from one room to the other?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless cabel from one room to the other?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Belkin Wireless HDMI

In reply to: Wireless cabel from one room to the other?

Belkin just released it. For your application you would have to buy their "flagship" one which retails for one thousands dollars.

Collapse -
Wireless Video

In reply to: Belkin Wireless HDMI

You can go to belkin.com go to the Home Theater section and click on FlyWire.

Collapse -
Not quite a full solution

In reply to: Belkin Wireless HDMI

Actually, the FlyWire is a "wireless video sender", not necessarily a "wireless cable sender". You can still use it, or one of other many different wireless video senders (2.4GHz, 5Ghz, etc). It would only be able to send the video from the output of a cable box (you must use a cable box, or vcr, or some cable tuner with video output, you can't just plug a coax cable from the cable jack to the Belkin Flywire and expect to get every different cable channel in the other room) located next to the physical cable jack, not any signaling for your remote control. So you could see the video in the other room, but not be able to change the channel without getting up and going back to the room with the cable box in it.

The way around that is to get a "wireless remote sender" (I haven't researched these extensively, but I believe X10 made one that had two "pyramid" units in it. Seemed to work when my parent's used it some 15 years ago ...), or by get a RF capable remote control system (look at the higher end Logitech universal remote controls).

Long story short (and hopefully not too much info), it's a potential solution, but not a complete one.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I've overlooked something.

Collapse -
Only solution

In reply to: Not quite a full solution

Is running coax, especially if you plan or have HD.
In this day and age, the only people I see with only one room having service is old people. Or those that didn't and don't want to see coax all along the baseboards of their home.
The cable guy syaing he can't do it because of electrical wiring is giving you an excuse not to do it. Because he didn't want to.
You may also want to talk to your landlord before doing it too because if they don't approve it,and when you move out and see all the cable tacks, you could loose your deposit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.