Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless booster/extender or Access Point or ????

by rpwoodjr / November 25, 2009 12:56 AM PST

I just relocated my home office from downstairs to upstairs and now my family room PC (downstairs) gets very poor wireless signal. I have to keep the modem and router (new Netgear 3700) in my office to ensure strong signal for my work laptop. I'm trying to determine what my next step should be to get my family room PC a good signal.

I have broadband cable - and there is a wall connection in both locations (upstairs office and next to the family room PC). I tried locating the modem and router in the family room but the signal was then sporadic in my upstairs office.

The modem and router are currently positioned in my office where it is a straight shot out the door and down the hall to the stairway that leads to the family room. That distance is about 50 feet. At the bottom of the stairs is a hard right and the PC is 15 feet from the bottom of the stairs. With what I paid for the new router, I sure didn't expect this to be an issue. But, I want to get this right even if I have to purchase another piece of equipment.

Looking for advice with specifics.

BTW, I've just upgraded our two personal laptops and the family room PC to Windows 7. My work laptop is still on XP.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Specifics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 1:13 AM PST

If the relocation failed it is likely just a failed cable issue. Call in the company that fixes that if need be.

As to more specifics I find when that word is used, sometimes the well worn advice is not acceptable such as the POST 18 in this forum's top sticky post or using the wave surfer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA

If you are the type that can't stand any try this approach call in the help and pay them to get it fixed. Sorry if these suggestions do not help.
Bob

Collapse -
I like the homemade fix, but...
by rpwoodjr / November 25, 2009 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Specifics.

My router has built in antennas. Sad

Collapse -
Then we have POST 18 (currently)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 1:31 AM PST

In this forum's sticky. I've used 20 to 200 buck routers for that setup with great results.

I missed the make and model of the gear used so I apologize that the Wave Surfer can't be used. However moving the wifi router off the floor and onto the wall can help as well as the top 3 posts about wifi settings in this forum's sticky.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!