Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wireless antennas

by blankster / September 18, 2005 9:17 AM PDT

If someone could help me with a wireless network from one house to another. Will be using this network for IP or network gaming 90% of the time. I have done research but there just seems to be something that I am missing. I have looked up the router (linksys wrt54-g)and a antenna (hg2415 2.4G). My buddy would buy the same thing on his side. What am I missing? What kind of hook ups do I need between the linksys router and the antenna?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wireless antennas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wireless antennas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wireless Bridge
by ac415 / September 18, 2005 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: wireless antennas

What you need is a Wireless Bridge or a wireless router that has bridging function. The Linksys WRT54G does not has bridging fucntion. You'll need something like the Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge WET54G to connect two network together.

Collapse -
wireless
by blankster / September 18, 2005 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Bridge

So you are saying that it would be easier to connect two networks together instead of making one? The houses are two apart. Will the bridges reach or do you have a directional antenna in mind?

Collapse -
you didn't say...
by Dick White / September 19, 2005 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless

You didn't tells us before that the houses are two apart. Wifi works on line of sight with minimal intervening solid material. Each time the radio signal goes through a wall or ceiling, it is degraded. The signal loss is also a function of the density and thickness of the wall - solid concrete is worse than a standard hollow interior partition wall. Some techs jokingly refer to wifi as a "three wall solution," meaning you get three average walls or ceilings and then the signal is gone. You are shooting through a whole 'nother house before your signal gets where it is going. That's gonna be a problem unless you invest in the more expensive long-range (pre-N) stuff and high-gain directional antennas. Even then, you might start out in the yard. See if you can get the systems to find each other over that distance when there is unobstructed view (and I mean unobstructed - trees, shrubbery, and other vegetation are worse than buildings (because of the moisture content in the leaves)). When they are known to connect, start moving your equipment back indoors and see if you can make the connection again.

dw

Collapse -
wireless
by blankster / September 19, 2005 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: you didn't say...

Sorry about leaving the 2 house thing out. What would you suggest I start out with and would a 2.4 GHz 24 dBi High Performance Reflector Grid Wireless LAN Antenna($49.99)work for starters? If so what kind of connectors/adaptors would I need to hook up to the router or keep the bridge? I see the antenna comes with the N-female or N-male connectors, which one would I need and is there a converter box from the antenna so I could hook the RJ-45 into?

Thanks.

Collapse -
research
by Dick White / September 19, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

You need to research the market of routers and bridges to determine which devices from which manufacturers work together (though there are industry standards, often devices from the same manufacturer work better with each other) AND support an external antenna. Usage of an external antenna is uncommon in the mass market, so not all devices have an external antenna plug. Then determine from the technical specs what style of connector is required.

dw

Collapse -
wireless
by blankster / September 19, 2005 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: research

Could you point me in the right direction? Key words or a starting point?

Thanks for your time and the help.

Collapse -
google is your friend...
by Dick White / September 19, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

try the logical keywords, like:

long range wifi

wifi external antenna

Some brand names for routers/bridges: netgear, linksys, dlink, belkin. They all have websites with URLs of www.{just put the brand name here}.com. You can sometimes use the internet retailers, e.g., newegg, for a comprehensive list of currently-available equipment from all the major vendors. They often have a short blurb of technical specs about each product with a link to the manufacturer for more detailed specs.

As I mentioned before, you are waaaay off the reservation with your desired configuration. I'm sure you could somehow get it to work, but it will take some experimentation and perhaps more than one attempt with different combinations of base unit and antenna.

The Belkin Pre-N stuff is said to have better than average range. Whether enough to fit your situation I don't know. It is proprietary so you have to use compatible Belkin stuff on both ends, and a quick look at the Belkin site didn't come out and state unequivocably that this line of equipment has external antenna connectors if the internal ones don't quite get there.

The new Linksys SRX MIMO stuff is getting a lot of press for high throughput and good range, but again it is a proprietary take-off from the standards and doesn't seem to provide for end-user adaptation of external antennas if the built-in ones aren't enough.

On the other end of the standards-proprietary scale, some of the ordinary Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link models have a provision for an external antenna, but by themselves are plain ol' plain ol' nuttin special. Whether the external antenna would be enough to prevail in your situation can only be determined by experimentation.

So in the end you have to decide how much financial resources you want to put into this until you find something that works - possibly even so far as mounting antennas on the outside of your houses to shoot over the yard or over the roof of the intervening house - but that adds complications of installation and safety (lightning grounding specifically!!!!). I don't have a ready-made solution, just ideas for you to pursue. Google is your friend.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks you have been great help
by blankster / September 20, 2005 12:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
WDS
by linkit / September 20, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

Think of 100 feet, if you're lucky, as your max wireless range with popular home brands. If your houses were next door to eachother, I would recommend two Linksys routers (WRT54G and/or WRT54GS) using third party firmware that supports Wireless Distribution System (WDS). WDS allows you to use two wireless routers or access points to connect to eachother wirelessly. You will, however, lose about half of your throughput with each wireless jump.

Collapse -
SRX?
by blankster / September 20, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: WDS

What about the the new SRX from Linksys WRT54GX?

Collapse -
might work
by linkit / September 21, 2005 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: SRX?

Dependig on how close the houses are and how congested the broadcast path is, the WRT54GX might be viable. Among the factors to consider is cost--two to three times as expensive.

I'm not a network gamer, so I don't know what speeds will be acceptable to you. I have read where some people have connected to the WRT54GX from over 300 feet away, but I don't know what type of throughput they got.

Collapse -
5 antennas and 12 extensions later
by madmustang / October 28, 2005 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: might work

I have a wireless network @ my house and my brother (who lives 2 houses down, which is about 20-30 yards) came up with this brilliant idea that we should get some directional antennas so we can share the connection. Which can help him save about $45 a month on cable. I have a Linksys router with dual TNC antenntas and my bro has a PCI external SMA antenna. To make a long story short, I have tried the linksys Hi-gain antennas (recognized the signal but not strong enough), hawking 9dbi omnidirectional antennas (only got one for the router and on his end he had the hi gain linksys antenna, This didnt work), Then I bought some NetGear 19dbi Directional Antennas ( well that was a waste cuz they dont even work with linksys products), and lastly I have just received my package with 2 trendnet 14dbi directional antennas and 2 24ft long cables. I will try this configuration this weekend. Hopefully this will work (x fingers). Keep in mind that I still need a wireless connection in my house so I will be leaving one of the TNC antennas for my house and the other will be a directional antenna to be received by my brother with another directional antenna on his side. All in all I needed 2 Antennas, 2 Cables, a SMA to TNC jumper for the router and now I will see if this will work any magic. Total Cost about from tigerdirect.com $280. Not including the routers, pci card, cat5 cable to adjust my router where i want it and my time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?