General discussion

Wireless Adaptor to connect to hard-wired home LAN

Does anyone know if I can purchase a wireless adaptor to plug into my existing home LAN?
My home is LAN wired in CAT 5 and I am wondering if there is a simple adaptor I can plug into my existing LAN router to enable a wireless connection for my laptop.
I don't want to move to all wireless for my home LAN. I just want to be able to use my laptop anywhere in the house when I am not using my desktop computer. I hope what I wrote above makes sense.
Does this product exist? Steve

Discussion is locked
Reply to: Wireless Adaptor to connect to hard-wired home LAN
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wireless Adaptor to connect to hard-wired home LAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -

The simplest way is to just replace your current router with one that also has wireless.

To do it the way you want you want a access point. All this does is run wireless on one side and lan on the other. The strange thing is that the cheapest access points are routers running in bridge mode. So you can buy another router with wireless and hook it behind your current router. Still its easier to just run the wireless router as a router rather than messing with the bridge settings.

- Collapse -
Thank You!

Thank you!

CNET Forums