Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Adaptor Suddenly goes to Limited Access

I would be working on my laptop, using the internet, when all of a sudden, the wireless adapter has only limited access, and when I disconnect from the network, the wireless adapter no longer detects any networks of any kind. In order to 'fix' it, I would have to reset the laptop, and then turn on the wireless capability.

I have already tried setting a permanent IP address using instructions from a previous thread I posted. This improved the issue, but it didn't eliminate it completely:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?forumID=62&threadID=320253&messageID=2927520

Toshiba A305-S6898

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MELODY-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : umd.edu

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : umd.edu
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-5D-74-13-0E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2d9b:2e89:e0b8:2d2a%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.110.187(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:06:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:54:57 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.108.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.8.74.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : access.bestbuy.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
et NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-69-17-D3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.access.bestbuy.com

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : umd.edu
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\Owner>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Adaptor Suddenly goes to Limited Access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Adaptor Suddenly goes to Limited Access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On your router.

In reply to: Wireless Adaptor Suddenly goes to Limited Access

Did you enable security? With today's software exploits I could cause your machine troubles like this unless you use WPA or better.

Tell us about the router settings.

Collapse -
Router settings

In reply to: On your router.

Plaintastic - Thanks for the post. I am having the identical problem. I thought that the issue was signal strength, but clearly it is not. Now I am beginning to wonder about router settings.

R. Proffit - You raise an excellent issue. I noticed that my security is set to CCMP. Most of the other WLANs that I detect in my area use different encryption settings - WEP, TKIP. What are the differences? Is there one that is likely to avoid the kind of network drops that Plaintastic is describing?

Thanks,

Collapse -
Today, now, right now...

In reply to: Router settings

There is simple software to interfere and/or hijack wifi connections with a click of the mouse. Today, the best defense is to use WPA and WPA2 if your machines support it. We note this security in our forum sticky but haven't found a good way to tell why without revealing the names of the exploit software.

We're working on a better sticky.

As to what each security is, we have the web pages galore about that so I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Security sticky

In reply to: Today, now, right now...

Thanks for the tip on encryption.
You mention that your sticky has many pages on security. I did not see that particular sticky in this forum. Can you point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Collapse -
The second sticky is at...

In reply to: Security sticky

Collapse -
I'm so sorry!

In reply to: On your router.

Ah! I'm so sorry for the long reply. I did not know that I didn't turn on the email notification

I doubt it's a router problem. You see, I'm getting my internet connection from campus, and this problem was here all along when I was at home with my family's own personal router.

Security issue? Can you detail what you mean?

Collapse -
Not yet.

In reply to: I'm so sorry!

All I will offer is that with software available today, for free your neighbor can click a box to disrupt a wifi connection if you use less than WPA or WPA2 for security.

For now, for today I'm leaving it at that until a new sticky is crafted that tells this without giving away what software this is. No need to make it easy for people to find it.
Bob

Collapse -
So my problem still remains

In reply to: Not yet.

Is this problem not going to be solved? Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what's wrong with my network adaptor?

Collapse -
Please tell details.

In reply to: So my problem still remains

Your reply didn't write "I changed to WPA" so all I can gather is you want WEP's problem to be solved. The answer to that is no. They can't fix it so they rolled out a better system.

Collapse -
Oh...

In reply to: Please tell details.

I'm not talking about the WEP or anything. I don't think that's the problem. I just replied so that I could post here again to ask if anyone actually knows what's wrong with my network adaptor, and what to do with it.

Collapse -
"I don't think that's the problem"

Collapse -
Router is not my private own

In reply to: "I don't think that's the problem"

I'm so sorry! I thought I wrote somewhere on this thread that I'm on a university network!

I can't change the WPA, WEP, or any of that b/c It's not my own personal router. If I do that, the 'security setting's will not match to mine', at least that's what it says.Keep in mind, that this behavior is also like this in my personal house network at home, so I don't think it's this type of problem withe the router. That's why i'm thinking it's more with my adapter, not the router.

Collapse -
Then you have to deal and live with...

In reply to: Router is not my private own

The now rampant exploits of WEP and less secure wifi security.

Again, why would you think it's your adapter if it works at home, free wifi hotspots? I re-read the above it and it reads just like someone is running the exploit tools that 'swat' others off the network.

Remember I will NEVER give a link to this software that swats wifi connections down. You know why so please don't ask for it.

-> In defense you can research how to change your MAC address so you can hop around the connections that are being swatted.
Bob

Collapse -
That's not what I mean...

In reply to: Then you have to deal and live with...

I think it's a problem with the adapter because the same problem occurs at my home network. Also, the problem never happens to my sister's laptop, who has the same security settings as I do. I don't think the security is the problem, whether it being WEP, or whatever.

...I never mentioned about a link. Why are you even talking about that in the first place? Is it me, or is everyone always beating the bush when it comes to getting solutions on these forums?

Just a reminder of the problem: My wireless connection would randomly turn to 'connected with limited access' or limited connectivity. When I disconnect, my adapter then no longer detects any connections, even though I very well know that there are connections around. When I reset my computer, the wireless capability is turned off. I would have to turn on the wireless capability by diagnosing and repairing the connection.

Collapse -
i think i have a simlar problem

In reply to: That's not what I mean...

just recently my connection has been going suddenly limited after downloading for a while, maybe 5-10 mins. If i tried all the release/renew, uplug, reset modem/ router stuff, it still didnt work. And after releasing the connection my adapter couldnt be enabled again .

1st it thoutht it was the modem, but it just happened to me in 2 different places. I tried with both ethernet and wireless and both had the same effect. So either both my wireless and ethernet adapter are dodgy or there is a problem with my Vista Home Premium laptop

Collapse -
For Vista we have hope.

In reply to: i think i have a simlar problem

Collapse -
There is no beating here.

In reply to: That's not what I mean...

Many times when I bring that up, some members demand proof which I don't post here for the reasons given.

Since you feel your machine is cranky on connections have you tried disabling the internal wifi card and using a PC Card like the WPNT511 or WPC54G? These run about 20 bucks and what I use to test out if the internal has aged and is heading south.
Bob

Collapse -
PC card in Laptop?

In reply to: There is no beating here.

Hm. That could be a solution...xP but doesn't it cost a bundle to open the laptop and having to replace the internal wifi? The PC Card itself you say isn't expensive...but opening and fixing my laptop would be.

Collapse -
Please look up those model numbers.

In reply to: PC card in Laptop?

These are what they are and avoid replacing the internal.

-> We have a 60 some odd long posting about the internal card issue. You may be miffed or upset I don't feel like repeating it and heading for what I do for this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
I found a solution!

In reply to: Please look up those model numbers.

And it was rather easy too.

This also goes the same if your USB mouse randomly stops working too

It's got to do with the power saving options.

If you fiddle around with that, in the advanced options, there's a section that talks about controlling what the computer turns off or on while the laptop is on a battery or plugged in order to save power. For things such as the SD host reader, the USB port that i plug my mouse into, and the adapter, it tends to want to 'kill' the power of the device. All you have to do is to set the power saving settings in such a way that you want them on all the time, rather than turning off when plugged in and all that strange stuff.

I hope this helps some others with my laptop/problem

Collapse -
just automate the setting

i have the same problem on win7 with my wireless router and after several tries i that,
go to the network and shareing center then change adaptor setting then right click on your wireless and chose properties the chose automatic detect
hope your proplem solved

Collapse -
Login To Your ISP page from your PC

well i too also faced this problem on my laptop, the problem became way too frequent while downloading any torrent files (big data) and the connection goes off in less than 2 min! so i hope my solution helps you out... its simple

first log in to your ISP using the respective credentials...if not even possible from the computer login from any other device connected to that WiFi and open the same login page in your computer too login again (if necessary)...check remember me so as to prevent any connection drops...ITS NECESSARY TO LOGIN TO YOUR ISP FROM YOUR PC. It was the only solution that served me good. hope it helps Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.