Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wireless Access Point - CNAP - 711

by jabz / March 5, 2004 3:12 AM PST

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM DISTANCE I CAN TRAVEL USING MY DESKTOP OR RATHER MY NOTEBOOK TO GET THE WIRELESS SIGNAL WORKING EFFECIENTLY. WILL WALLS AND OTHER OBSTACLES INTERFERE WITH THE SIGNAL FROM THE WAP TO MY WIRELESS NIC?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wireless Access Point - CNAP - 711
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wireless Access Point - CNAP - 711
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Wireless Access Point - CNAP - 711
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 3:57 AM PST
http://www.cnetusa.com/product/specs/wl_cnap711.htm
writes...

"Opertation Range

- Maximum distance of 11Mbps: 180m (590ft)
- Maximum distance of 5.5Mbps: 300m (984ft)
- Maximum distance of 2Mbps: 450m (1476ft)
- Maximum distance of 1Mbps: 550m (1800ft)"

Walls, obstacles and other devices on the same channel will reduce this.

Bob
Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by jabz / March 5, 2004 5:15 AM PST
Collapse -
1. Your email address is showing. Can delete if you wish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 6:56 AM PST

For such an endeavor, you don't have a secure system. Orinco, HP and others have systems that you see at Starbucks AKA WiFi HotSpots that include management tools.

If you really wanted to do this, just put up your WAP and change the SSID weekly or monthly so you keep the unauthorized users off. That plus the users giving you their MAC numbers and you only allowing those MAC numbers will suffice.

To get better coverage, drop WiFi REPEATERS here and there.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by jabz / March 5, 2004 8:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Your email address is showing. Can delete if you wish.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 9:14 AM PST

Posting your email address in a public forum is a great way to get more spam. Let me assure you that I don't send private responses since this is how the forum learns.

As to repeaters, you get one like the Dlink DWL-900AP+, configure it as a repeater, then find a place midway from the user that can't connect and your WAP, then just give it power.

Bob

PS. I can delete your messages if you want to not reveal your email address.

Collapse -
Re:Your email address is showing. Can delete if you wish.
by jabz / March 5, 2004 2:57 PM PST

yes do delete the messages. didnt realize that before.
does it matter if we conect different makes of equipment in wireless internet, meaning, like i have Cnet WAP and Cnet Wireless NIC's, now if i place a Dlink equipment will this hinder the system, and how much allowance or more distance does the repeater give for a remote user to be able to browse the net?
p.s. thanks for your advises.

Collapse -
About double.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 9:56 PM PST

1. If you have an 802.11b WiFi network, you use 802.11b equipment. If the stuff didn't work with each other, then WiFi would not have taken off.

2. NO ONE will tell you exact distances because the test location is not your location. I supplied some maximum numbers. I use 1/2 those to account for other things.

3. A repeater is simple in its idea. If you can't hear me at the other end of the football field, having another person to repeat the message at the 50 yard line works.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Wireless Access Point - CNAP - 711
by HamFan / June 6, 2004 2:06 PM PDT

Please read the others and then consider this. I am a Ham. I use radio all the time. I have OK equipment, but use the BEST antennas I can buy. So, why do we use the rinky little rubber duck antennas on the router? I don't know. I replaced mine with 7dB antennas by A/S and quadded my range with full speed. Are you going omni or point to point? with Omni, you can get good antennas with just 4' of cable and get a solid 1200' at full speed. Point to point...I've seen dish antennas that could allow 3 miles. Be aware that as you open up that range, EVERYONE sees you. And can intercept your signal. Just a counterpoint!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?