Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wired --> Wireless --> Wired

We currently have a wireless, and wired router. We have 2 PCs 1 laptop, and a PS2 that go online. We want to move the PS2 and one of the PCs into a different room. So can we get something that converts wireless network back to wired so that we can plug in a LAN switch for the PS2, and the PC?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired --> Wireless --> Wired
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired --> Wireless --> Wired
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't need to convert anything

In reply to: Wired --> Wireless --> Wired

Just plug the switch in .. it should work..

because a Switch is only use as an additional port for device connection..

Collapse -

In reply to: You don't need to convert anything

What I am saying is I cannot get a cable from the router to that room.

modem-----router (~~~Wireless~~~) switch---Computer
Computer_ _| (___________________) |_ _ _ PS2

This is what I'm trying to do.
(The (______) is just there to move the word PS2 under switch)

Collapse -
So, what you want is to make a

In reply to: wired-->wireless-->wired

wireless connection from the router to the switch on the other room...?

For that, it would be easier, if you get another wireless access point router .

and configure it as repeater/range expander.

Collapse -
AP or Router

In reply to: So, what you want is to make a

So if I got an access point, they have one port in the back right? and then I would just plug the switch into that and configure it as a range extender and it would work?

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.