Computer Help forum

Question

Wired/Wireless Internet Goes out while Playing Game - Have t

by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

Hi everyone. Hopefully I can get some help here.

System: Dell Latitude D630 Laptop with OS XP service pack 3.

Graphics card: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset

I recently recovered from a virus (bout 2-3 weeks) and I am having a bit of a problem.

Whenever I try to play a game (WoW for instance) it runs perfectly smooth and fine for about 6-10 minutes. After said time, the game gets choppy, FPS drop significantly and my internet goes out.

The only way to fix this is to restart my computer.

As for anything else, my computer browses completely fine and there is no noticable choppiness. It should also be noted, however, that this problem with the video games and internet cutting out also applies to streaming video.

Whenever I try to stream a Netflix video on a 23" monitor, my computer (it's a laptop Dell Latitude D630 docked to a station) reacts as if it were a video game and gets choppy, and internet goes out. This DOES NOT happen whenever I am just on my laptop UNDOCKED.

None of this happens to anyone else on my network -- just my computer.

Is this a network problem? Or is this a hardware problem?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired/Wireless Internet Goes out while Playing Game - Have t
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired/Wireless Internet Goes out while Playing Game - Have t
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given the story, tell me about your canned air use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 10:13 AM PDT

Did you try performing your usual 6 month cycle early?

Collapse -
Clarification?
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

I am not entirely sure what you are talking about.

Are you referring to my laptop fan?

Collapse -
No. I'm referring to your laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification?

Laptops need cleaning from a few months to about every 6 months. I'm asking about your laptop maintenance in case you never do that.
Bob

Collapse -
Ahhh sorry about that
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

No I have not :/

Collapse -
I'd do that next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahhh sorry about that
Collapse -
Alright sounds good.
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd do that next.

I read up somewhere that someone had a similar problem streaming his videos and he cleaned his laptop and it got better.

I'll pursue this and post if it improves at all.

Thank you

Ryan

Collapse -
Negative---
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright sounds good.

It seemed to run a bit longer, but to no avail, my internet was dropped once again (although FPS were fine!).

This is really starting to annoy me now :/

Collapse -
Negative--
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 12:23 PM PDT

It seemed to run a bit longer, but to no avail, my internet was dropped once again (although FPS were fine!).

This is really starting to annoy me now :/

Collapse -
Although...
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT

I do notice that the internet and everything DOES happen once the fan runs super high for an extended time (like 3 minutes).

It's not making any rattling noises or anything - it's pretty smooth. Just kinda loud and noticeable once it picks up y'know?

Collapse -
Dust
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Although...

Saturday I worked on a desk top computer that had a noisy fan after a few minutes of starting.
I could hear the fan change speeds and when it was making the most noise was when it was running the fastest.

Looked inside and found the CPU fan and heat-sink 70% covered in dust.

Had to remove the fan and heat-sink to clean out the dust.

Put everything back together using a fresh coat of thermal paste on the CPU and heat-sink connection.
The fan is now running quite.
The CPU was overheating due to the lack of air flow.
The fan is temperature controlled and increases speed as it senses an increase in temperature.

A clean CPU is a cool CPU.

Collapse -
It turns out it is the fan after all.
by rdahl29 / July 11, 2012 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Dust

I brought in a fan that was laying around my house, put it next to my laptop and turned it on low. Now my computer functions normally and everything is good.

I'm going to go buy one of those laptop fan attachment thingys haha.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

I really appreciate it. My thanks to you, R. Proffitt Happy (you too snapshot2 :D)

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 2:33 PM PDT

Until it settles down, I suggest you get it clean and use that canned air every month for a good 6 months. Then you can do the usual 6 month regimen.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.