Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wired Router Slowdown of Comcast?

I have a Netgear FVS318 8 Port Router. I now have Comcast 16Meg Blast service. With my Laptop connected via ethernet directly to modem I get my 16Meg. With the Netgear in the loop I cannot get better than 8Meg.

My router is 4 years old. I have upgraded to latest firmware, still no higher speeds. Any recommendations on a wired or combo wired/wireless 8 port router that will not bog my speed down? I must have at least six ports; prefer eight.

I am looking at the Linksys BEFSR81. Any comments?

I want the 16 Meg I am paying for.

Plese help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired Router Slowdown of Comcast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired Router Slowdown of Comcast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's not a router?

In reply to: Wired Router Slowdown of Comcast?

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: That's not a router?

I do not need the firewall b/c I have Zone Alarm on my PC, should I buy a unit w/o a firewall or can I disable the firewall feature?

I need 8 ports and paid for speed more than anything.

Collapse -
You're welcome.

In reply to: Thank you.

But I hope you would read this products manual and see if SPI and other things can be shutoff.

Collapse -
Get both . . .

In reply to: Thank you.

I have a D-link router and a D-link switch behind the router. The router assigns addresses and the switch connects the rest of my gear. And I have the Comcast Speed boost too with full speed.

Collapse -
Slower throughput using firewall

In reply to: Wired Router Slowdown of Comcast?

Many consumer grade router/firewalls only have a 10BaseT port for WAN traffic which will limit you to the extra 6MB your connection states it can provide.

Most of these products were not built to handle higher loads. A consideration would be to get a firewall which is designed to handle these higher speeds such as SonicWall for example--bigger processor and more internal RAM.

Hardware-based firewalls are much faster analyzing packets than the software product ZoneAlarm. From a security standpoint, turning off SPI, IDS/IPS, and rule based filtering basically turns it into an expensive [routing] switch giving you no protection.

Collapse -
Thanks, but I have solved the problem.

In reply to: Slower throughput using firewall

I had an extra Belkin Wireless G with 4 Ethernet ports. I tested it in the system and each port provided unrestricted throughput 14-18 Meg. I then checked the wireless portion...same result.

So now I have Apts 1, 2,3,4 on Ethernet getting 16Meg and I am the sole wireless client (super encrypted). Everyone is getting full speed. The only down sides are that I have no spare ports, which right now I do not need, and the antennas are not detachable for the addition of an external antenna.

The Belkin Model number is Belkin fsd 9231-4 v1.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.