HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

WIRED NETWORKS & SETUP ISSUES?

by Thomboy65 / September 23, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

I have a new PC, with adequate DRAM and a great chip to run VISTA Ultimate, and a laptop, running VISTA Home Premium. Since I have used WIRED networks before with DSL service, I am guessing using a Cable modem won't cause any problems.

First, since I have to push the 60 feet of CAT5e wire through existing 2X6 walls, and con't know exactly where the 110V wires are located, is it essential to use a wire locator to keep the CAT5e wire far enough away from the electrical circuit so as not to compromise the signal so it drops?

Second, I have purchased a LINKSYS BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router with a 4-port switch for my network, because I used the same router 8 years ago for my DSL modem and had no problems with speed or setup. Is there a better wired router I should consider befoe I unwrap my BEFSR41?

Third, once I have the laptop connected to the router, should I buy a printer hub to connect my HP LaserJet 1300 and my OfficeJet 6210 to the router, or should I connect both printers to my PC and use printer and file sharing to enable my laptop to connect to both printers?

Fourth, I have a Termaltake housing for a 500mb Western Digital external hardrive that has both a ESATA and a USB2.0 port. I also have a LINKSYS Network Storage Link with two USB2.0 ports and an RJ45 ethernet port.

Should I connect the external hard drive directly to the PC, using the ESATA port, and then access the external hard drive using printer/files sharing with my laptop?

Or, should I connect my LINKSYS Network Storage Link to one of the ports of the BEFSR41, and keep my external hard drive connected to the network storage link so I can backup my files and folders on the external hard drive?

Thanks for reading this long message, and for any advice you can send my way.

Thomboy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIRED NETWORKS & SETUP ISSUES?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIRED NETWORKS & SETUP ISSUES?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

"is it essential to use a wire locator to keep the CAT5e wire far enough away from the electrical circuit so as not to compromise the signal so it drops?"

No. The TWISTED PAIRS are there to negate such pickups. I'll decline explaining why this is so.

2. Second, I have purchased a LINKSYS BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router with a 4-port switch for my network, because I used the same router 8 years ago for my DSL modem and had no problems with speed or setup. Is there a better wired router I should consider befoe I unwrap my BEFSR41?

If that works for you. That's a rather dated but fine product.

3. Third, once I have the laptop connected to the router, should I buy a printer hub to connect my HP LaserJet 1300 and my OfficeJet 6210 to the router, or should I connect both printers to my PC and use printer and file sharing to enable my laptop to connect to both printers?

Absolutely your choice.

4. Fourth, I have a Termaltake housing for a 500mb Western Digital external hardrive that has both a ESATA and a USB2.0 port. I also have a LINKSYS Network Storage Link with two USB2.0 ports and an RJ45 ethernet port.

Should I connect the external hard drive directly to the PC, using the ESATA port, and then access the external hard drive using printer/files sharing with my laptop?

-> WOW, you got ESATA working? That's fabulous. Most owners can crack that nut. Again it's your choice on the setup.

5. Or, should I connect my LINKSYS Network Storage Link to one of the ports of the BEFSR41, and keep my external hard drive connected to the network storage link so I can backup my files and folders on the external hard drive?

Again, this is your choice. I like the direct USB connection since NAS speed is abotu 1/5 that of a direct USB connection. That's sluggish.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Wired Router
by Thomboy65 / September 23, 2007 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: 1. No.

Thanks Bob for taking the time to read and respond to each of my questions.

You say that the BEFSR41 us a dated product. Do you know of a better router for wired networks? I don't need to keep the LinkSys wired router.

It sounds like keeping the LinkSys Network Storage Link and using the USB2.0 link to the router is your favored choice. It is easy to do, and only saves a few bucks to keep the network storage link.

I am also grateful to better understand the way twisted pairs work in the CAT5e wires, as I don't really know where the 110V circuit is located in the wall, and now I can get the job done without worrying about where it is.

Last question: I once was told that sharp bends in CAT5e wires compromise the speed of the signal. Is this bolderdash or true?

Many thanks, Bob

Collapse -
Here's a link about how twisted pair nulls out interference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Wired Router

It's a physics, electronics effect. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_Pair Hopefully this will suffice for the explanation. The sharp bends would have to be quite severe to create an issue. You won't see this issue if you let the wire "flow" and don't stress it over an 90 degree edge.

As to a better router, I found the BEFSR41 to not handle PC to PC traffic all that well. If I connected my BEFSR41 to a switched hub the network performed better. This has turned out to be true with most routers of that day. Today's units are usually better.

Try to use what gear you have. You seem to be very close to a working system.

Bob

Collapse -
Twisted Pair & Better WIRELESS router?
by Thomboy65 / September 24, 2007 1:35 AM PDT

Thanks for the link to Wikipedia for the explanation of twisted pair technology.

I have an unopened box for a D-Link DIR-655 WIRELESS Router that I was going to return for credit. Would it make any sense to use this router for a WIRED network, since it probably has more updated technology, unlike the LinkSye BEFSR41 that is from the dark ages?

If I connect a switched hub to my BEFSR41 wired router, why will the PC to PC traffic move faster?

Forgive me for asking these educational questions, because it takes far too much of your time to answer them and direct me to helpful sites, but maybe someday I can help someone else with the same problem.

Thanks for the advice and help, Thomboy

Collapse -
"If I connect a switched hub to my BEFSR41 wired router, why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:21 AM PDT

"If I connect a switched hub to my BEFSR41 wired router, why will the PC to PC traffic move faster?"

Because the switched hub in the BEFSR41 doesn't keep up with 100Mb transfers. Even the cheapest switches hubs helped curb the time when I copy a file between machines. Since routers were pricey back then I would connect up the modem -> router -> switched hub -> PCs to get the best overall network speed.

Bob

Collapse -
Switched Hub Here I come!
by Thomboy65 / September 24, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

Many thanks again, Bob, for the clarification about the switched hub. I should be able to find an inexpensive one, and complete the network without problems, due to your help.

QUESTION: Is there any reason to use the D-Link DIR-655 Wireless router in place of the BEFSR41 for my wired network?

I have been told over and over that using a wireless router for a wired network is OK, but wireless is more expensive.

COMMENT: The D-Link DIR-655 cost me $129 while the BEFSR41 cost $$65. A cheap switched hub can't cost more than $30 or $95 versus $129. If the D-Link is better, I don't mind spending $34 more for better long-term use.

Thanks again for the reply, Thomboy

Collapse -
The wifi is a nice option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

I'm a little taken aback with the prices you listed. My recent upgrade was a Netgear WPNT-834 for 69 bucks refurb from geeks.com. I found a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for 49 bucks on sale at Best Buy which is doing a stint running a Linux based router firmware since I wanted to do that for some time.

The gigabit wifi router is a nice touch since I doubt you'll replace that any day soon.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe I need to do some more looking for routers?
by Thomboy65 / September 24, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Hi Bob:

I bought the gigabit D-Link DIR-655 from Costco, but saw them advertised at cNet from other places for over $170. I bought the BDFSR41 from Best Buy as it was the only wired router they had in stock.

Maybe the Buffalo you bought would work for me?

Since I don't need the wi-fi function of the DIR-655 now, maybe using it is overkill??

The think all the n, and pre-n routers are pricey with lots of problems--setup, and even firmware downloads. Even D-Link's technical support is lacking if trouble comes along with sub-net mask, DHCP or IP addresses.

Thom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.