Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wired networking problem

Ive had this problem since i bought my xbox 360 in July last year and i still cant sort out the problem

I have a wireless router with 4 Ethernet ports (Gigabyte GN-BR01G) , When i connect my 360 to this router ( Wired connection ) I can sign into xbox live but i cannot play any games online.. then about 3 mins after i connected i get disconnected from xbox live :?

The 360 will work fine if i run it straight into the modem but then no one in the house can access the Interne. I bought a 12 port Ethernet switch to hopefully fix the problem but it will constantly fail at Ip address no matter what the settings are.

I have tried assigning a static IP to my PC then forwarding the required ports, ive tried resetting the router back to its factory settings but it will still do the same thing

My 360 and router are less than 2ft apart and i dont really want to spend

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired networking problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired networking problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My bet is some work on port forward or the DMZ setting.

In reply to: Wired networking problem

Collapse -
:(

In reply to: My bet is some work on port forward or the DMZ setting.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the advice from the links but nothing has changed
( port fowarding + DMZ setting etc)

It is exactly as it was before

Could it possibly be that the router is too old?

There is no option in the routers control pannel to disable the firewall

When i click "Firewall Rule" i get 2 options "VPN Pass through" and "Static rule" =\

Any ideas?

By the looks of this i will probably have to get a new router if i want to play online

Can any one reccomed a Wireless router with ehternet ports for wired networking that will definatley work with xbox live? Silly

Collapse -
I can't comment.

In reply to: :(

Without make, model, firmware versions and what's different from the stock settings I can't comment.

But I will say that I've used those searches and the results to cure this issue. So far, I've yet to replace a router over this.

Bob

Collapse -
PS. Possible firmware page.

In reply to: I can't comment.

Collapse -
Possible fix

In reply to: PS. Possible firmware page.

Sorry i didnt include more information

Before trying all this i updated the firmware to 1.38E

Do you mean assign an IP to the 360 then put that IP in the DMZ?

Ive tried that and ended up with the same result

If im thinking the wrong thing there could you please tell me how to do what you are describing?

Thanks,

Collapse -
That usually is all that it takes.

In reply to: Possible fix

Ok, sorry to ask but is there a firewall enabled in that router?

And what ISP do you have? Comcast, Verizon, etc.

Sorry that it just didn't work but it seems to be close (or a cable is broken...) Be sure to try other cables and another port on the router.

Bob

Collapse -
Firewall =\

In reply to: That usually is all that it takes.

The router has a "Firewall rule" option with VPN pass through and static rule but no option to disable the firewall.

I have tried switching the cables but still no use

Collapse -
Edit

In reply to: Firewall =\

Sorry forgot to add

My ISP is Virgin Internet (Live in the UK)

Currently on a 2MB line Sad

Collapse -
Tell me what static DNS you entered.

In reply to: Edit

Collapse -
DNS

In reply to: Tell me what static DNS you entered.

The DNS settings i entered where:

Primary 192.168.1.254
Secondary: 194.168.4.100

Also looking at my ipconfig /all, the default gateway and DHCP server address is the same as my Primary DNS server.. is this right?

Just tried again and i still can connect to xbox live but cant get onto any online games.

Collapse -
default gateway and DHCP server address is the same as my Pr

In reply to: DNS

default gateway and DHCP server address is the same as my Primary DNS server.. is this right?

For some systems. What I suspect here is a DNS issue. Did you try the DNS that your router is using?

Collapse -
Routers DNS servers

In reply to: default gateway and DHCP server address is the same as my Pr

Sorry to be a pain but i dont know where to find my routers DNS servers Sad

Had a look about and there seems to be no mention of them

Collapse -
Maybe I was unclear here.

In reply to: PS. Possible firmware page.

Many of these issues vanish when the router's firmware is updated. Since the update did note the 360 I see no reason to continue along any other discussion path until we know we have the latest firmware or the firmware the maker's support is telling us to use.

As to the DNS supplied to the router I know it only seems tough. But such information is in some configuration page on the router. You must dive into these issues are just have someone come over and tackle this issue. If we leave important steps undone it's more likely to be the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Regarding GN-BR01G problem

In reply to: Wired networking problem

Have you solved the problem yet?
It seem like the same error ocurred when i try to connect xbox to live. I can still play online, ex. COD: Modern Warfare2- NAT Open: YES.
But in this case i cannot join other live parties and games with spesific users/friends, thougt they can without any problems.

So in a way the GN-BR01G can not communicate with other routers such as Linksys WRT54GL, witch works great with other users etc.

I tried to forward all ports and followed description on portforward.com but still doesnt work! I also powered-off modem and router for several minutes and times.

Some say it will work if you can enable UPnP, but i cant find where to activate it either in the router settings.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to solve this problem.
Any suggestins well be appreciated!

Collapse -
got mine to work

In reply to: Regarding GN-BR01G problem

Finally I got mine to work! Happy
Was kinda simple.

1. I went into the Xbox 360 and entered a static ip and all that.
2. In Virtual Server-PPPoE/DHCP/Static Configuration settings on the router open port:

53,80,3074,88,42042,42052 for ICMP and the static IP of your xbox 360.

All guides I have read says I should open these ports for TCP and UDP, that did not solve it for me.

Just figured this out and have not testes what port made it work.
All games that did not work online works perfect now!
Right now I have all those ports open for TCP, UDP and ICMP.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.