Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Wired connection fighting the wireless connection

by Kypros79 / May 7, 2010 2:44 PM PDT

I have a laptop running windows XP Pro; it has 2 network adapters, wired (NIC) & wireless (WIFI). I have never needed to connect the NIC until recently when my game console was moved to the same room as the laptop. My intention was to buy a cheap switch and assign static IP's to both the X-Box & the laptop's NIC. That way, they could still connect and stream music, video, etc... AND the WIFI would keep me connected to the internet. The new configuration works great for streaming from laptop to xbox, but now my computer can't ping outside of the LAN when the ethernet cable is plugged in. During a ping request, unplug the NIC and CMD chokes for a minute then I guess the wifi takes over and the ping is successful.

WIFI = 192.168.1.2 (DHCP) from router 192.168.1.1
NIC's = 192.168.1.199
X-Box = 192.168.1.200

On the laptop, I have...
-used ipconfig to verify that both adapters have ip addy.
-changed default gateway of NIC to the router (192.168.1.1)
-changed default gateway of NIC to the WIFI (192.168.1.2)
-NIC's gateway to either above and DNS to either of the above...

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? Is there a way to force the WIFI to WORK even when I have the ethernet cable plugged into the NIC? Is there a way to force the WIFI to have a higher priority than the NIC?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kypros

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wired connection fighting the wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wired connection fighting the wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unsupportable answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 10:31 PM PDT

That was an invalid setup. There are many discussions about setting up what you are trying so I will defer to those. I never write about ICS.

Again, I no longer discuss ICS but it is what you would use to solve this.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Is there any other way, besides ICS?
by Kypros79 / May 8, 2010 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Unsupportable answer.

I understand that you do not want to get into a discussion about ICS. I have read about it, and anything that refers to floppy disks & Windows 98SE is obviously dated technology. Can you imagine a valid hardware setup that would work? (Other than running 80 feet of cat 5 back to the router.)

I just want to connect an xbox and a laptop that are 3 feet apart. I do not need Internet for xbox, but must have it for the laptop (& wireless is the only option).

Thank you again.

Collapse -
Hint only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 9:25 PM PDT

You want to use ICS. Your setup was invalid and didn't use ICS.

I'd look at using ICS. But given ICS is a tarpit for support, I leave that to others but ICS is the clue here.
Bob

Collapse -
dual connect pc
by bill012 / May 8, 2010 10:21 PM PDT

As stated ICS will do what you want and even more since it would allow the xbox to access the internet. Although ICS is old and was designed for sharing a dialup all it does is basically convert your PC into a router. I would not recommend it for your particular requirement but most people who ask this want to also access the internet.

It sounds like you have most it working. You want your wireless to get its ip and default route from the router. You want to make sure that your ethernet port has a static ip and DOES NOT have a default gate or route. Your XBOX should have a static IP and a default gate of the PC ip. You need to use different subnets for the 2 networks.
Route print command should show the default and the wireless subnet on the wireless interface and only the ethernet subnet on the wired.

Really this should be all it takes to make it work. Some PC are too smart, they have auto feature to help stupid people. My latest work laptop will do things like disable the wireless port when connected to ethernet or in the docking station. Took me a long time to figure out how to disable that in the bios.

Collapse -
/
by bill012 / May 8, 2010 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: dual connect pc

Went back and reread you original post more closely. Your main issue is that you are putting both your nics in the same subnet. Use something like 192.168.2.xx for your ethernet and xbox.

Collapse -
Many Thanks!
by Kypros79 / May 11, 2010 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: /

This subnet idea worked great! I'm currently listening to music & still able to post this msg online!! I did not have any issues that needed bios modifications; all I had to do was create the subnet as you suggested. Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.