Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wired and wireless

by bingodl / August 15, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

I'm setting up a 2 computer network. Desktop is wired: desktop <-> router <->cable modem <-> internet. I have a wireless adapter in desktop and laptop.
Here's the questions. I think I can access the desktop via the wired connection or the wireless connection.
How does the browser decide which to use ? How can I determine which path is being used ? Can I control the choice ?
As I understand things, the wired connection is used to setup/manage the router + it allows me to maintain broadband communication with internet.
The network cards exist so the desktop and laptop can communicate/share independent of the Internet.
Does this make sense ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wired and wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wired and wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just turn on File and Printer Sharing. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 15, 2007 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: wired and wireless

on both machines and use the router, and remove the wireless adapter in the desktop.

You can use either connection to set up/manage the router.

Collapse -
wired and wireless
by bingodl / August 16, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

Thks, but I'm confused. Are you telling me that the router will all communication between desktop and laptop ? The laptop has no wired connection, so it must talk to router. I guess desktop could talk to router via its cabling. Is this considered a wired or wireless network to desktop. Which tool should I use to configure it ?

Collapse -
File sharing is one of the functions of a router. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 16, 2007 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: wired and wireless

Specific folders on each PC can be shared across the home network. Turn on File and Printer Sharing on each PC. Then run the Network Setup Wizard on each PC. This will create a folder on each PC called Shared Documents that you can access from Explorer. Then you can move other files or folders to the Shared Documents folder and access them from another PC. After this is set up, open Explorer and go to the My Network Places folder. Each PC will be listed along with its Shared Documents Folder.

This will work with either a wired or wireless connection. I have three desktops (wired) and two laptops (wireless). I move "stuff" all the time.

Collapse -
still need help
by bingodl / August 19, 2007 2:41 AM PDT

Thanks again. I've done all that, but I can't seem to get each computer to see the other. To make things more complicated, I am running XP on Desktop and Vista on laptop. The laptop shows a network map that shows a connection to the internet, but not the desktop. Being wireless, both connections must go thru the router. Likewise, My Network Places does not show the laptop. I'v been reading help text, etc like crazy, but not sure what is happening.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by hubbajp / August 20, 2007 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: still need help

I have the same problem. I have a desktop running XP wired directly to a Lynksys WRT54G router which is connected to my cable modem. I also have a laptop running Vista that connects by wireless to the router. Both can connect to the internet. I have enabled sharing on both machines. When I view the network on the laptop, I see only the router. I do not see the desktop. I too have spent quite a bit of time searching for a cure. Anyone have one?

Collapse -
aha
by bingodl / August 20, 2007 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

It is the firewall. I have McAfee personal (9.0) on both computers. When I turned both off (Windows already off), it worked. I think I want to disable the router's firewall and keep McAfee since the router's firewall can't help me when the notebook is on the road. Right now I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on how to disable it.

I also plan to test turning off the firewall on just one end. I may also test Window's firewall w/o McAfee to see if it is also effected.

It's never as easy as they say !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.