Computer Help forum

General discussion

Wire Connectors for attaching front panel cables???

by usedalittle / July 7, 2007 1:38 AM PDT

I want to buy an assortment of male and female connectors to attach front panel cables to pc motherboards. Several questions:

What are these connectors called?
Who makes them?
What are possible sources to obtain them? (sincle pin connector, 2 pin, 3 pin, etc both female and male)?

Thanks, Elliott

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wire Connectors for attaching front panel cables???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wire Connectors for attaching front panel cables???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should already have them
by jackson dougless / July 7, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

If the case has any kind of front connectors, it should have come with everything you need already. If you're looking to do a DIY sort of modification, you'll probably have to kind of cobble something together yourself. You should be able to get all the parts you need for a place like Radio Shack, but you'll likely need to do a bit of work to turn them into something usable.

Collapse -
Need sources to cobble
by usedalittle / July 7, 2007 2:38 AM PDT

Some front panel cable connectors that come with cases do not match what is required for motherboards. This is especially true for power led connections. There is no standard - either by case manufacturers or by motherboard manufacturers. I want to buy equivalent connector supplies so that I can make (cobble together) whatever adapter that I might need. I can't even someone who makes a case "single circuit connector" cable with a female on one end and a male on the other. I have been to Radio Shack, Fry's, and several other stores and countless web "case mod" sites to no avail. Thus, my original questions here. Thanks, Elliott

Collapse -
What are these connectors called?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 2:47 AM PDT

A. Connectors. Sorry there is no one single term that states it better. You will probably be amazed that there are some million styles from the various makers. I would never attempt to find them all.

Who makes them?

A. Amp, Rose, Weco, and some 1,200 others. See http://www.thomasnet.com/products/connectors-17470600-1.html

What are possible sources to obtain them? (sincle pin connector, 2 pin, 3 pin, etc both female and male)?

A. Mine are mostly collected from past machine builds and when I need something new I'll check:
mouser.com
digikey.com
jameco.com
etc.

You may be under the impression that solder skills, wiring tools are not required but that impression will pass with time.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by usedalittle / July 7, 2007 3:20 AM PDT

I will try some of the sources you mention. I certainly would like to avoid learning about soldering and using wiring tools, but I am willing to do that. At this point there does not appear to be an alternative. I wonder why nobody seems to be marketing a wire single circut casde adaptor (female one end and male the other). Everyone could use that adaptor to deal with the lack of pin standards. Thanks again, Elliott

Collapse -
That was tried.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2007 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

Patent issues, trademarks and more were the result so you saw the industry go back to what you see today.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.