Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wiping my Computer completely

by wertypoboxx2k / May 7, 2010 3:49 PM PDT

I have a computer running windows XP and its been driving me nuts. Ever since my computer last crashed and refused to start up its been a total nuisance. When my computer last crashed and refused to start up I decided to start over and re-install windows. Unfortunately, I ended up doing something which my more computer literate friend calls "Splitting my Computer". Every time I start my computer up it asks me to select which operating system to run: "Windows XP" or "Windows XP". In addition, because my computer has two drives (C and F, F being about ten times bigger) One version of windows uses the big drive (that would be the one that doesn't work) and one version uses the tiny one (that would be the version that just barely works)while I want to be able to access both of them. I have the windows install disk and the key that goes with it, I just need to wipe everything and start over.

tl;dr How do I wipe my computer of EVERYTHING?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Insert the XP CD and reboot . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 7, 2010 10:15 PM PDT

Follow the prompts CAREFULLY! You will be asked if you want to delete partitions and format the drive. You will delete any and all partitions, create one active partition, then install XP in that partition.

You must boot from the CD, not the hard drive. Another question. This second drive. Is it a physical hard drive or a partition on one drive? Also, you must disconnect any attached USB drives or devices.

Collapse -
Hard drives
by wertypoboxx2k / May 9, 2010 5:30 PM PDT

There are two physical drives. One has 30 gigs and the other has 350 gigs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!