HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

General discussion

wiping hard drive clean

by grannie2u / May 16, 2009 6:57 AM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s computer. I wanted to wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall windows vista, which my computer was running before,but when I used the cd's that came with my system it didn't wipe off the hard drive and now I don't have my d drive and my e drive is now my cd drive. I have only 230 gb of memory left.What do I do to fix this and get my computer back to the original way it was when I purchased it.

Thanks for any help in solving this problem for me. I'm really new at the computer,so wlii need things stated as simple as possible.
grannie 2u

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wiping hard drive clean
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wiping hard drive clean
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here how to reinstal
by Basket628 / May 16, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

Got to boot to the Vista cd by turn on computer hit F12 get boot menue tab down to the cdrom drive hit enter then get a message saying hit any key to boot to cd hit spacebar then you get what you will see on the link pasted. http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=352 follow the onscreen intructions.

Collapse -
Drivers
by Basket628 / May 16, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
XP
by mlg63 / May 17, 2009 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers

Those instructions are for Windows XP. Vista does not use the Desktop or Notebook System Software.

Collapse -
Reinstalling OS
by Tombee56 / May 18, 2009 5:52 AM PDT

Is it a slim-tower or a mini-tower? Do you have media card reader in your 530s? Open the case and disconnect the cable from the motherboard to the media card reader. All you need is the HDD and CD to be connected to the Mobo.

Now boot your comp.. On boot, press F12, insert your OS disc in CD tray and follow instructions.

HOWEVER, if you have Media Direct, insert that first, follow instructions, (go for default setting, and then install OS and when installed re-insert media direct disc and carry on.

Once all that done, and you have basic desktop up and running, insert resource disc which has the drivers for your machine. On the left choose OS and at top choose drivers. Anything that is checked needs to be installed. Before anything else choose all chipsets, after that, just gos for all in order.

Once all done reconnect media reader cables and whatever else to mobo.

regards

Tom in UK

Dell certified field engineer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.