HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

wiping clean sensitive material

by patty63 / August 13, 2010 2:39 PM PDT

I want to sale a couple of older pc's for a friend. She works in the medical field, and has a lot of sensitive info on these....social security numbers, patient files, etc. Is there a program that I can buy to wipe the drive completely clean, where NO ONE can access this info? Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wiping clean sensitive material
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wiping clean sensitive material
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wiping clean sensitive material
by KevinDalton1959 / August 13, 2010 10:32 PM PDT

Hello Friend,
For sensitive material eg: Medical and Social Security Data too be scrubbed clean and Unrecoverable.
I would visit iolo.com and then I would download the Free Trial of Drive Scrubber.
I suggest that you Scrub the Free Space first, that's because when you add/Remove & Delete it all goes their.
Secondly, I would then Scrub C: Drive. On the settings before you start change too higher settings for the scan, it will be slower too complete but much more thorough. then I would chage the 1 oerwrite too 100 (as far it will go.) Then the computer will be fully wiped cleaned.
Their ios another way and it will not take ver long.
If it is Windows 7 or Windows Vista you canpurchase or if you have the Installation disk ready, you can fully restore your computer too factory reset. This is the best way and the fastest way. Then you can re-install Windows and it will be clean for someone else too use.
I hope this has given you the necessary information you needed.

Collapse -
DBAN
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 10:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
NO ONE?????.........NO
by Bob__B / August 14, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

Let's start with......it's close to impossible to totally erase a HD.

If that medical info gets loose your friend is in SERIOUS trouble.

Remove the HD's and destroy them.

Sell the units sans HD.

Collapse -
You have a point
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: NO ONE?????.........NO

I missed the reference to medical records and I now revise my suggestion.

While DBAN will completely wipe the disk and write zeros to every location, the only safe and sure way is to destroy the disk. That's physically destroy it.

Sensitive material should never get the chance to be recovered.

Mark

Collapse -
drill it
by SvenStation / August 14, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

to completely destroy the hard drive, take a drill and
drill a hole in it. Or, if you can access a degausser,
that would be good too.

Collapse -
Personally, I Like Thermite....he he....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: drill it
Collapse -
The way one bank did it.
by mopscare42 / August 14, 2010 1:54 PM PDT

I worked for a company that did the networking and computer hardware for a bank. That included the servers.
When we replaced the servers, we removed both hard drives pulled the covers off and drilled 5 holes in each drive. The metal in a hard drive is really hard and we had to use cobalt drill bits to get through them.
After that was done we took a grinder to the surface of the drive.
The branch manger and the tech had to sign off that it had been done.
One manager told us they then put the trashed drives in a locked box and sent them to some place in California to be melted down.
That may seem a little extreme,but there was no way anyone was going to get the data off those drives.

Collapse -
Nice!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 9:45 PM PDT

That should do it. Happy

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.