Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Wipe out my memory - please.

This is my first post here. Thanks in advance.

I'm using Dell Dimension E520 with XP which has all updates. If it matters I recently used System Clean and Defrag.

I accidently downloaded some stuff from a P2P which I immediately deleated and dumped from my Recycle Bin. Now I find that may not have been enough for peace of mind.

So I want to clean out my HD of all traces of it and of course I don't know where it might be. I know it CAN be overwritten but in fact may never be. I assume I need some software to do it which is why I came here.

Any suggestions welcomed.

So how do I do that without wiping out XP and starting over?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wipe out my memory - please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wipe out my memory - please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You Might Try Recuva (File Recovery Program) ...

In reply to: Wipe out my memory - please.

from the makers of Crap Cleaner. Good chance that if you remember the folder or file names you'll be able to find & call them back for removal/shredding whatever (assuming they haven't been over written yet). It's free & something to keep on hand. If you have CCleaner, you could put the recovered file(s) into your recycle bin and then open CCleaner and click "Options> click "Settings" and at bottom select "secure deletion" selecting either DOD 3 pass overwrite or NSA 7 pass overwrite. CCleaner is free for home use also (get "other builds": SLIM version for least draw on system resources.

http://www.recuva.com/

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Get Info on what each item to be cleaned is ,select on left side Cleaner Information & print out list.

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
P.S.: After That Run Several Trojan Scans....

In reply to: You Might Try Recuva (File Recovery Program) ...

(either your on board or on-line) just to be sure there's no nasties left!! Grin

Collapse -
CCleaner

In reply to: You Might Try Recuva (File Recovery Program) ...

What changes, if any, do I make to the Applications Tab?

Collapse -
If you are really concerned...

you could wipe the hard drive by using such software as DBAN that will clean the disk to Department of Defense or other standards.

Of course this means doing a new install of the operating system and programs. If this is your choice, be sure to have backups of any data that you will be keeping and wish to re-install after the reformat.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
Getting close

Maybe I'm picturing my HD wrong but what I'm looking to do is clean the HD, but only that part that is available to be written on.

Thereby writing over all deleted files, programs etc. making them unreadable.

Thanks for both suggestions I think I can use them both. I suspect that someday I'll be completely removing XP and reinstalling.

Meanwhile I just wanted to remove all the files and such I've Recycled in the past.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.