Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

wipe hard drive

by rebellecca / February 28, 2004 5:48 AM PST

Is there an easy way to wipe out my hard drive and start over?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wipe hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wipe hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:wipe hard drive
by Michael Geist / February 28, 2004 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: wipe hard drive

Boot up from your XP cd, choose a new install, choose the existing partition where your present install is, format and reinstall. A restore disk will follow a similar course. Of course you back up to an external source what you don't want to lose first.

Collapse -
Re:wipe hard drive
by rebellecca / February 29, 2004 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: wipe hard drive

If I go into dos and format the hard drive will I then be able to reinstall windows xp? I have tried reinstalling xp and all I accopmlished was adding another user to xp. What I would like to do is get rid of everything on the hard drive and start over with windows. Any sugjestions except blowing it up???

Collapse -
Re:Re:wipe hard drive
by Michael Geist / February 29, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re:wipe hard drive

"If I go into dos and format the hard drive"

DOS is not a component of XP, but if you like you may boot to a Win98 disk, use FDISK to delete your partitions. Then I would boot from the XP cd and let Windows do its thing.
For deleting difficult partitions you can use >>http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm

Collapse -
Re:Re:wipe hard drive
by David Chan / February 29, 2004 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re:wipe hard drive

The guaranteed way to ensure that the HDD is formatted during the set up is to use the option to delete your partition.
Then create a new partition and you will then have to format the partition before XP can proceed with the installation.

Collapse -
FYI, see this link..
by David Chan / February 29, 2004 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:wipe hard drive
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:wipe hard drive
by rebellecca / March 2, 2004 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:wipe hard drive

Ok anouther question. If i go into DOS and delete the partition. Then format the HDD will I then be able to install XP back on my puter? Since I dont have the option of deleting that partition when I try to reinstall XP it tells me cannot perform that function.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!