Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???

Toady's CNet Editorial mentioned tha the download for WinXP SP2 is too big for Dial-Up systems. Help! That's what I've got. Dial-Up. As barbaric as it seems. I'm also mostly a "dummie-newbie." I have set my system for Automatic Download, cuz that was recommended. A few different dates have been mentioned which I can't sort out. There have also been admonitions to wait awhile before downloading SP2 at all. Also, the editorial said it could take forever to receive SP2 in disk form instead. Help! Should I deactivate Auotmatic Download? Is it true that my dial-up won't handle the download? Risk of being dumped from the net while in progress? Should I wait altogether and see what happens to everybody else? Should I order the disk in the meantime, and if so, how to? THANK YOU for listening to my many questions. RSVP ASAP if you can. from a newbie, but always a ladytrickster. ginnirosa@msn.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???

In reply to: WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???

ok yes its big and in october you will be able to order a cd in the mean time find a friend with broad band and ask to burn down loads to a cd for you.

and iwould wait on dial up to try to download

Collapse -

I have a satellite modem and downloaded the whole 266MB file in about an hour and ten minutes at a wonderful 55KB/sec speed. However, I believe that the home user version will be smaller when it becomes available. Right now the site page for ordering the cd isn't working (it will be free, including shipping from what I understand) yet. I don't plan to burn this update to a cd until I can also get the patches that are already been written and made available for SP2 as I type this....and I'm sure as heck not planning to install it until those patches get put on the site.

Like Mark said...if you know somebody with a fast connection and a burner, ask them to burn you a copy of it. Figure on about two DAYS or so for a full download on dial-up....however, you might also get the option that MS used to give people before of having a broken download install a small icon on the desktop that you can click on that will resume the download where it left off rather than force a whole new download. Kinda like Gozilla on steroids...MS has really gotten alot faster at these files to us than they used to be during the download.

TONI

Collapse -
this is what i am going to do

like you i have pigeon dialup - i started downloading the IT version last week (which is approx 270Mb) - and ended up giving it the one fingure salute after about 12 hours - beside my ISP plan has a limit of 700Mb and i would have exceeded that by the end of the download - Also i heard the windows update version was going to be a lot smaller (i got one figure as low as 80Mb - but depends on other update u already have) Anyway so I turned auto update on... and then after hearing of quite a few bugs and problems with the new update i have also given "auto update" the one finger salute. I dont intend being a lab rat for microsoft - and if you are not an experienced user (as you have said) i would wait a month or so for all the known bugs to be flushed out and fixed.
After a month or so i will be downloading the update(s) but not using the "windows update" site but this site using a down load manager called "getright":-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];sp&

by using a download manager problems of being disconnected are not a worry.

you can go to the above site now and learn what u need to do to prepare for sp2!

Also doing it this way means i have a copy of it ready for the next time i have to reinstall windows lololo!!!!

Anyway as Elvis sang.."only fools rush in.."

hope this helps
Peter

Collapse -

I have been using Service Pack 2 since the early release candidates. It's been rock solid.
The full Network download I would say is rather large for a Dial-up connection. (It's not really designed for one or two Home Computers anyway, but for IT Pros who are updating multiple Computers over a network).
I would definitely leave Automatic Update on and you will eventually get the much smaller download designed for your Machine.
The new Windows Update Client (V5), will continue to pick up the download where it left off, even if you shut off your Computer. (This feature was specifically designed with Dial-up connections in mind).
It may take some time, (Microsoft is monitoring this closely), but just turn on Auto Updates and forget about it. (You will eventually be notified that it has been downloaded and ready to install).
This is an update that is well worth the wait in my opinion, and I know several people with slow dial-up connections that have received the update through Windows Update without any problems.
(Note that it won't be available for XP Pro through Windows Update until August 25th last I read).

Collapse -
so "update" can..

In reply to: Re: WinXP SP2 Download Too Big for Dial-Up???

continue from where it was disconnected then!!!- i have been under the impression the best it does is restart the downloading at the begining of the file it was download when cut off (in the case of multiple files)
I have had XP for about 8 months and in the early stages concluded it totally restarts - mind you I had other problems which clouded the issue and microsoft sent me a patch - something to do with an error in some "certificates" from memory.
I find the download window is also quite basic and is not quite definative during the down load progress (ie no real breakdown of individual files and %progress) which has clouded the issue further.
Anyway thank for that
Peter
ps - u dont work for MS do you.. only teasing!!!!

Collapse -
Re: so "update" can..

In reply to: so "update" can..

yes ive seen that it will continue from ms web meetings

Collapse -

Mine was automatically installed on 8/16 and I have experienced no problems. Good luck with yours. I know there are a lot of rumors but from my experience, everything is fine.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.