Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP Slows down after booting

by jinnu176 / September 21, 2008 3:55 PM PDT

SYSTEM
h/w : CPU: core 2 duo 3.0ghz,BOARD: Intel DG33FB,RAM 2gb
os : WinXP SP3 / Vista dual boot with winxp in primary partition

Problem
After a seemingly normal boot xp slows down to almost stand still in about 3 min.I know it does not stop as once TaskManager started 15 min after i clicked on it.Since it is so slow the Not Responding Message shows up.This happens in xp only.

same prob in diagnostic mode
But it works in safe mode

What i did so far :
I have cleaned the registry
I have run chkdsk with /r/x options
I have run a scan from safemode using AVG 8.0 free edition,
no probs showed in the log file.
There is no change in the situation.It is almost like some malware sturtsup after i boot and takes over all my memory.

I could really use some help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Slows down after booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Slows down after booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 10:08 PM PDT

The clue for me is "os : WinXP SP3 / Vista dual boot with winxp in primary partition"

Here's why. I rarely find such installed proper. The installer misses some motherboard or other driver during the install. In short, they thought Microsoft collected such drivers or that the Driver Update button worked. Tell more about the OS install.
Bob

Collapse -
May have been missed?
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 2:06 AM PDT

Bob, while I tend to agree with your initial thought, the fact that it works fine in safe mode would seem to indicate that it could a registry Run, RunOnce, RunOnceEx issue.

It sounds like the computer has alot of services external to XP that are starting up and taking up alot of system resources. This kind of goes back into another thread recently posted, "How many icons do you have in your System Tray?"

These items in the Systray that are loading at boot and potentially are responsible for your non-responsive system are directly connected to registry entries in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce and RunOnceEx AND HKLU....\Run, RunOnce and RunOnceEx.

Removing entries from these locations as opposed to using MSCONFIG also removes the entries from appearing in MSCONFIG. Just a thought.

Collapse -
"Run, RunOnce, RunOnceEx issue." and a tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: May have been missed?

A very nice tool to examine some of those is the "power tool" called HIJACKTHIS. Just running the scan with this is very safe and lets you peek under the hood without having to learn about regedit.
Bob

Collapse -
Another nice tool.....
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

Is either autoruns.exe or startup.exe, both are very small and show you exactly what's in those areas and starting up every time you log in and also allow you to either uncheck those items to disable or to straight delete them from the startup process all together.

Collapse -
Selective Startup does not help
by jinnu176 / September 23, 2008 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Another nice tool.....

I am really sorry guys, this system has XP in the primary partition.
That was a real big messup on my part.

I have the same problem even if i do a selective startup with MSCONFIG
I removed all the startup elements.
This time it ran a little longer abt 6 min before it hanged.

Collapse -
Still looks like a bum XP install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 10:09 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?