Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP Refueses to Connect n Activation...

by ASH3S / June 22, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

My comp got a little messed up, (alost acted as if I was in safe mode) nothin big (hopefully) so I decided to put in the cd and repair winxp.
I reinstalled it entered the serial and all that, but when I log in it asks for activation again, I say yes and when it attempts to connect, it just won't. I know it's not my connections because I have a Mac on this network that work's great (Mac and PC connected through Linksys router) I tried going to my Router's source site with no luck. Someone suggested to me maybe the needed driver's the motherboard should have arn't there anymore.
It won't let me have a 30 day activation to reinstall any drivers. 'm clueless as to why it won't connect, it's been a few days with a few tries. Any help is appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Refueses to Connect n Activation...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Refueses to Connect n Activation...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like drivers to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

"the needed driver's the motherboard should have arn't there anymore."

When this happens, you get the drivers from the internet off another machine.

Bob

Collapse -
How would I install...
by ASH3S / June 22, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

Easy enough if that's all it is i suppose.. but How do I install them onto my comp since it won't even startup WinXP without activation?

Collapse -
In that case you get to call Microsoft for activation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: How would I install...

Somethings not right here. You could have some OEM or CD from another machine and didn't reveal it.

But it certainly sounds like you get to talk to mother now.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe a restart..
by ASH3S / June 22, 2005 6:06 AM PDT

haha ah well let's just hope it makes one of those mircale restarts and works. I've done this before and it worked fine, don't know why it's putting up a fuss about connectivity now.

Any more suggestions are welcome, but in the meantime don't be surprised if my phone is busy for a long long time..

Collapse -
Try
by phantazy / June 22, 2005 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe a restart..

Netsh Diag and ping in command line, safe mode..

Collapse -
Had same thing
by Merl Priester / June 22, 2005 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Try

During a re-install it wipes the drivers and makes you start all drivers from scratch. If XP does not have the network drivers loaded when the activation screen comes up, you cannot get activated over the net.

I have had it say I had three days, but on the next boot it wouldn't let me go on. Call the number and talk to the computer to get the install code. Then finish the driver installs.

Collapse -
I tried Safe mode and CD..
by ASH3S / June 23, 2005 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Had same thing

Well I wanted to try one more thing, I started up in safe mode and i put in the motherboard (Gigabyte) cd to install the drivers.. but it won't read the cd.. hmm. And did you mean the verification code Meri? or is ther somethin else they'll tell you without talkin to a respresentative?
(or is it all automated?)

and what did you mean roantree?

Thanks for all the help so far, much appeciated.

Collapse -
restate
by Merl Priester / June 24, 2005 8:49 AM PDT

If you cannot aget windows to the desktop because of activation problems, then how did you get to safe mode.

If you have a LEGAL product key, and only the activation is holding you up, then call the Microsoft phone number that comes on the screen and get a code from them to activate your system.

If you do not have a LEGAL product key, then you are in fact screwed.

You have not definitely explained exactly what is wrong or where in the process you are getting hung.

Your CDRom should work in safe mode, IF the IDE controllers can get installed, and that usually requires at least one reboot after install in NORMAL mode, which according to you, you have not done yet.

If you are doing this legally then explain in DETAIL what is wrong. Vague terms and no further explaination leads me to believe you have pirated.

Collapse -
Restated ;-)
by ASH3S / June 24, 2005 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: restate

I appreciate the implimations of me having pirated winxp copy.

The computer starts like normal after you repair windows, gets to the log in screen, I enter my password then asks if I would like to activate it, simply clicking no won't let me access the computer, and yes will go to the activation screen, asking if I'd like to call the number or connect, if I'd like to register, etc. I click conenct and activate over the internet and it will say connecting, until it can't and it explains that it can't connect. This is my problem. I would prefer not calling the number, lol which anyone with a legal copy would understand why, 45 min. plus on the phone isn't my idea of a good time, also I would like to understand why my computer is doing what it is. I can start in safe mode and I attempted to insert the motherboard cd to install drivers, but it won't read it. If I knew why it started in safe mode and not normal, I wouldn't be posting.
SO this is my problem, and with employee copies of Win costing $30 and public copies being risen to $200+ I don't blame anyone who would pirate the software.

Your help and implimations of my thievery are appreciated! :-D

Collapse -
trying to help
by unomix / June 24, 2005 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Restated ;-)

Implimations.. try....... Implications
been risen ....try.........having risen

Collapse -
Moving on
by ASH3S / June 25, 2005 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: trying to help

ah, I knew that was the word!
lol I'm not tryin to offend him or anyone, just havin fun with it. Even though it's not getting anyone anywhere I appreciate the corrections. But this isn't english class it's a help forum. So let's move on an see what can be done about WinXp issues.

I appreciate all the help I've recieved thus far, anymore suggestions are more then welcome.

Collapse -
OK Lets get on with it
by Merl Priester / June 26, 2005 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Moving on

You have fully explained now exactly where the problem lies.

You do not have an option to not call Microsoft, and believe me it does not take 45 minutes. Use the phone option,

You only talk to a computer, read the codes shown on screen and enter the codes the computer gives you back.

It ususally takes 10 minutes and is the ONLY way to activate your system at this point.
You have spent more time writing these posts than it would take to activate your product again.

I did say you pirated anything only that I was thinking so since the info given was vague and you don't want to call M$. Glad I am wrong on that.

I don't know of any other way to activate Windows. If there is a crack that works I have never even heard of it and we on this forum cannot give any help about how to get around the software activation anyway.

Call the phone number and get it done, its very simple.

Collapse -
HAHAHAHA!!! You have just been screwed by MS !!!
by OleMissRebel / June 23, 2005 10:05 PM PDT

Hardly anyone gets to register with MS. It's all a big game. I bought a new computer with MS installed in Feb. The local gurus told me I would not get registered with MS before I bought it. They were right. There is a seal on the side that I had to copy the numbers from. there are three sets of numbers--one almost invisible and I am sernior citizen and missing seeing it. I entered wrong set and was rejected--got a magifing glass and a flashlight and found the invisible set (that is in a screwy typeface anyhow) and while still connect, entered the new ones and was rejected FOR ENTERING THE RIGHT NUMBERS. I wrote MS support/sales/corporate and all I got for my effort was referrals to the Q&A sections of the MS sites.

I asked a Busy Buy Geek what the deal was and he laughed too.

It's a game.

I downloaded Visual Studio, a special program MS has to use in creating websites. Can't register it to get activations code. I wrote on an MS forum for VS what the heck and the forum admin-A MS EMPLOYEE FOR GOSH SAKES-wrote me direct to tell me that I can't get registered because I'm using a different net connection to go get the activation code to enter in my registration window. And sicne I have two net connections open at the same time, I am out of sync wiht their computers and so I can't complete registration. HUH? I figure the guy will go far at MS. Their custoemr support donesn't exist.

Collapse -
The number of ripped off XP on new computers is a shame.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

And results in posts like yours. I've seem small stores with faked OEM or other labels and more cause this.

But I've yet to encounter an issue with the real CDs from Microsoft.

Sorry to hear your woes, but one piece of advice is to gather up your reciepts, your CDs, COA and make the call to MS to get it sorted out. I didn't get charged for the call since the software was legitimate and was issued a new CD-Key for Office along the way.

It's a shame that piracy has lead to this.

Bob

Collapse -
Makes one appreciate forums (still no luck)
by ASH3S / June 24, 2005 5:31 AM PDT

Stuff like this is rediculous. But I'd believe it when it comes to MS. All we want to do is use their dang programs! Sorry to hear bout your troubles MissRebel. lol mine are nothin short of still there, all I want to do is log on, so i can install the drivers and connect to the internet. But it's MS irony that keeps me from doing so. WHat happened to the 30 day activation also?

Oh well everyones help has been much appreciated thus far. That's why forums like this are awesome, proffitt you and everyone else are great. Hopefully we can conquer these problems..

Collapse -
Poor Ashe--I fully understand...
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 3:31 AM PDT

Please understand that I go back to 1987 with PCs. I had the very latest gear to start with AND D-DOS!!! The USAFR bought it for me as I was the public affairs officer at one of their key installations in a northern city, Y'All!! They were eatin' grits for breakfast when I was finished with them there because I am a precision guy and turn out national-award-winning stuff and absolutely cannot stand to be in the room with a fool.

And that's what I think Bill Gates hires because he doesn't know any better. The only reason BG got to be the richest man in the world is because he lucked up one weekend in Seattle and knew where to buy D-DOS ready-made from some garage-workshop geekie who sold his world and soul for either $5k or $50K--I've heard both amounts, and then peddled it to IBM for a tradeshow opening the same day there in Seattle.

I honestly believe that BG cannot write a single line of today's code. He made a fortune off being IBM's sole PC operating system supplier and then off the licenses he subsecquently sold to the PC-compat companies like Compac, etc. And he then used this money to hire geekies who CAN write code. There is no masterhand at MS, that's why they develop software in pieces by committee and then weave it together at the end, thus producing bloatware. The same process repeated five thousand times instead just once with referrals from other pieces of the pie.

MS is beyond getting straightened out. I read the other day that some guy went to BG's office and told him that Vista/Longhorn was a failure, that it could never be made reliable for homefolks' PCs like yours or mine.

Read my other posts here. I was Bill's best buddy in the 1980s when no one's software worked with any one else's. He DID rationalize the market and get that accomplished. Then, he made his (and our's) biggest mistake. He began thinking that it all belonged to him and of right, it was his to take.

And today, we have a totally unreliable Web and MS bloatware and you and I are trambled on and there is not a real person at MS we can even complain to.

The only solution I see is to break up MS and sell off the pieces and let them fight with each other for market share, and let BG go spend the rest of his life in the US Virgin Islands.

End of rant.

Collapse -
A reply via 1700th Century Sailing Ship
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 3:13 AM PDT

My sticker was legit. On an Insignia from Best Buy. The point I made was that the MS people-idiots hired by Bill (who I think doesn't know squat about software coding--he just as easily could be manufacuturing yo-yos in my humble opinion and deals only in concepts whenever he opens his mouth ) have required a case sticker that is stupidly complex and difficult to read.

I mean, the d*mn stuff is there on the shelf in the stores, anyone can copy the numbers off so why make it nearly impossible for a novice senior citizen like myself who is learning his way into the latest version of digitial world stuff?

And you get ONLY ONE TRY to register and if you miskey one thing you just lost out forever.

Here is more of the same for the MS people-idiots do not learn from their experinces. Three days ago I purchased Frontpage to begin work on my latest website. You cannot begin to imagine the agonies THAT has caused me. The training program? Run by HP and their classes are full for the next two months, minimum. MS offers no tutorials at all and has no templated I can use temporarily.

I guess I got IDed to MS as a IT pro because yesterday afternoon I got a balloon notice that there was software to be downloaded. I checked, it was from MS and I granted permission. I then had to stop my work to reboot to install it and then an hour later, a statement appears on my screen and destroyed the artwork I had been working on for three hours.

The message read that in my remaining in compliance with my previous agreements with MS, I would have to agree to a new one. I did, cursed very loudly over my ruined file and began again.

An hour later, ANOTHER MS msg comes onto my screen and tells me to register Internet Explorer 7. OK, I said, I get an update to my softwear. Never have heard of IE 7 but OK. I'm cool (not really). The series of windows I pass through entering personal data ends with a demand that I provide my current Product ID Number that can be found in Help/About. I go there and faithfully and carefully copy down the PIDN and enter it. Not recognized! I try lowercase on the OEM part. Not recognized! Invalid! I erase everything in the windows of the form, go back a page and come forward again. I try again.

Not recognized! Invalid!

Here, this is for Bill Gates. Buddy, if you dont' know your Product ID Numbers any better than that, I really am not surprised. If there was an alternative company, I'd toss your junk in the trashcan and not go, but run to them and buy.

FUME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Addition to previous message
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

I want to add to my previous msg.

I tried to use that form six times! SIX TIMES! WITH the correct PIDN. MS refused to recognize its own PIDN.

Today, I learned that Internet Explorer has a Version 7 (Beta 1) that is being issued to website developers and I guess I got IDed because of that d*mnable purchase. (Three days with it and I still am trying to figure out how to get started. No tutorials from MS and no templates to borrow. OH, there are some but they are from third-parties and the least expensive templates costs $80. MS doesn't even support its own products. PURE GRAVY. You ever noticed that IE is based on NCSA Mosaic developed at the U of Illinis??? Check it out. Just go to Help in your IE window, click on Help and then About.

Ahyhow, I can't get registered for IE 7, yet I have MS software for it in my PC that I can't use and can't delete and which has hugely slowed down my PC and I HATE Betas. I have refused to accept Betas in the past. Let somebody else be the caged monkey. I've got better things to do than be an experiment.

But Bill Gates' gang tricked me into accepting a Beta into my PC and then refused to let me use it once it was there and has injured my operating speed as a result.

Very unfair. VERY VERY UNFAIR.

My PC doesn't belong to Bill Gates. It belongs to me and I bought it for MY use, not for him or his staff.

DOUBLE-FUME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
At the moment
by Themisive / October 7, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

Internet Explorer 7, whilst talked about, has not even come out yet, I'm still using IE6 - mind you, I live in the UK where at least though the systems take a bit longer to get to us, the bugs are (mostly) ironed out.

As far as something in stores with the security code on it, you try doing that and see where you get, as it just will NOT work with other copies - you know when you install a copy of a programme, and you are asked for the security code - well there is a file on the disk that the programme compares your input to and if they differ, it shuts down the installation.

As far as getting ony onw try, is it Microsoft, if so, ring them up, explain and I'm sure they'll help.

Collapse -
IE7 (Beta 1) is out, brother
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: At the moment

I checked it out. MS is force-feeding the Beta 1 of Internet Explorer 7 to known IT Pros and Site Developers. I guess they figured I belonged to one of the two groups because I had purchased FrontPage a few days earlier and had registered it. (Registry WORKED this time!)

So, the process is as I described. A notice that a download is waiting, then the required (and rather rude) demand to sign another agreement with MS, then the questionniare all over about a three-hour period, including literally taking over your screen without a bye-you-bye, please and thank you.

I still don't understand why my Product ID Number was refused unless it's because I had V 5.1 to start and upgrade to 6 and their news release at their site says that IE6 owners were getting the Beta of IE7 if they were ITs or SDs. I later sent to the MS site and could get back into the system. No provision there for self-initation into the chosen few. THEY decide and you get only one change to get it.

Anyhow, there I was with a drastically slowed-down PC as a result and finally figured out to go do a Restore from three days previously and that got rid of the "slows" and the IE7 download.

What really ticks me off is that I nave never accepted a Beta in my PCs. Let somebody else be the caged monkey. But there was no warning what the download involved and certainly no Beta warning.

IE7 is on the way. Trust me in this. I almost got a copy--now--two days ago.

Collapse -
1700th Century Sailing Ship !!!!?
by linkit / October 7, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

Holy cow! The ships on Star Trek are only 24th Century. Ummmm, can you, perchance, beam me back to yesterday so I can play a number in today's lottery? (typos can be fun) Happy

Collapse -
ah, welllllllllll
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 6:46 PM PDT

24th Century?

Parden the inferences in this message, but are you, ah, one of those, hmmm, Humans? You know, the meaty things?

Collapse -
refuses to connect
by jimmiel47 / June 24, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

go to start, run box type msconfig
on the general tab make sure normal startup is checked.

JB

Collapse -
back to your activation problem. (Merle ended other string)
by OleMissRebel / October 7, 2005 4:13 AM PDT

Merle explains an activation process using a telephone (Snicker. To communcate with MS, you have to use a handset? And then get a voice softwear? Snicker. I have a deep Southern accent and even long-distance information can't understand my spoken numbers!!)

But that's typical of MS, which I have come to hate.

After failing to get registered because of the stupidly complex case tag bearing my PC's code number, I got activiated on screen WIHOUT using Merl's Start/Run/MSCONFIG stuff.

And the local gurus said that MS will work with you in activation mode ANYHOW. And MS has been since Feb 05, and I've not run into any 15-day business for the activation that some other poster was worried about.

BUT two weeks ago I have seen MS ads in the Australian News Yahoo board stating that the company will no longer recognize users who are not registered.

So, with Windows XP, that MS will no longer support after July 06 as a forceplay to make me buy Vista, I am looking for alternatives operating systems.

I want to get MS out of my life. I just hope I can find a way.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.