Your PC it's probable infected with Spyware. There are some that will prevent Spybot and Ad-ware from running. If you still can go to the Internet and you're using a NIC in order to access, you can boot in "Safe Mode with Networking" and logon with an account with administrator privilege.
Make sure that you're protected by a firewall.
Download , install and scan your PC by using Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta).
Also, you can try running Spybot and Ad-ware in "Safe Mode with Networking" too and use the latest updates definitions for all of them.
This does not mean that your all problems will be solved, but it's a start.
Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,
T. S. Eliot
I am using XP Pro. I have Norton Anti-Virus (with up to date defs.) I use Spybot and Adaware (which when I try to run it I get an error that looks like another language and program will no longer run).
Within the last two weeks I began to have the following problems:
- Problems connecting to other network computers (however I am able to connect to the internet). I was able to connect after a restart, now I can not connect to other computers
- My taskbar changes colors (now tan instead of blue) after the computer has been on for a few minuts
- It takes a long time for all of the startup programs to run after the computer boots
- I figured I would try a system restore, but I get a message saying that System Restore was unable to protect my computer. After further tries I got "Error 998: Invalid access to memory location"
- I went to the event viewer to see if there was anything that happened, but when I click on the properties for an event the event viewer freezes.
I did 2 full system virus scans (1 in safe mode) and ran Spybot and neither found anything. The only thing that I installed within the last month was a Microsoft Office Update and the XP auto updates.
Any suggestions or ideas?