Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP Pro (SP1) OE 6.0 Spellcheck

by lemaech56 / August 15, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

After a successful install of WinXP Pro (full version) and subsequently installing SP1 patch update for PRO and IE 6.0, all IE features used to date function as expected. However, Spell Check on OE 6.0 doesn't work. When selected, the message "Spell check halted, do you want to continue?" is posted. There are no other errors or clues. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Pro (SP1) OE 6.0 Spellcheck
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Pro (SP1) OE 6.0 Spellcheck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WinXP Pro (SP1) OE 6.0 Spellcheck
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

Spellcheck is not included with XP or OE. Look up OESPELL on Google to find addons.

Bob

Collapse -
by lemaech56 / August 15, 2004 1:16 AM PDT

Bob wrote:
"Spellcheck is not included with XP or OE. Look up OESPELL on Google to find addons."

I didn't realize this since on my other server running WinXP Pro (SP1) and IE 6.0 (SP1), Spell Check works on OE 6.0. I don't recall doing any explicit installs of OESPELL, but I shall follow your advice and do so. Progress shall be reported.

Thanks, as usual, for the outstanding tips.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

Here's another discussion about it.
http://www.mcse.ms/message909617.html

The spelling checking may have been installed if the other machine has Office or even Works installed. But the stock OS doesn't include it.

Bob

Collapse -
by lemaech56 / August 15, 2004 1:30 AM PDT

Message from Goggle search for OESPELL:
---------------------------------------

For 9x/NT/2K/XP (for OE 5.0 or later). ?This is a small application (600 KB download) that adds spell checking abilities to Outlook Express for those that do not have MS Office installed.? By Vampirefo. (Recommended by MS-MVP James M. Fisher)"

There seems to be a clue here: On the server where OE 6.0 fails Spell Check, MS Office 97 Pro is installed. On the server where it works, MS Office 2000 Pro is installed. OESPELL shall be installed on the Office 97 Pro system.

Bob, you Forum Moderators are truly amazing.

Collapse -
by lemaech56 / August 15, 2004 7:33 AM PDT

Bob Wrote:
"Spellcheck is not included with XP or OE. Look up OESPELL on Google to find addons."

I followed your suggestion, found OESPELL 2.1 on MajorGeeks website, downloaded and installed the app. and all is well. When I have more spare time, I will re-install MS Office 97 Pro to determine if the spell checking problem still exists.

Again, thanks for the expert and expeditious assistance.

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / August 15, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Spell check needs to have M$ Word installed - you re-installed Word/Office/Works right?

Collapse -
by lemaech56 / August 15, 2004 7:38 AM PDT

Jake wrote:
"Spell check needs to have M$ Word installed - you re-installed Word/Office/Works right?"

No I did not. I installed OESPELL 2.1 instead and that solved the problem. However, I plan to reinstall MS Office 97 Pro and test spell checker under OE 6.0 at some future date. Note that spell checking works in all of the components of MS Office Pro 97.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?