Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP Pro restarting

by dudster71 / December 31, 2004 4:10 AM PST

So sometime last night the computer froze and when I went to use it this morning I had to do power it off as it wouldn't respond to anything. Ever since then it just continually restarts whether in safe mode or normal mode when it gets to the Windows XP splash screen. I've spent the last couple of hours going through previous posts in this forum that have to do with this problem and have tried a few things but nothing is working.

Heat is not a factor as I spent about 15 minutes in the bios monitoring that and it stayed around 96F. I removed one, then the other memory sticks and tested them in both slots. The capacitors all look fine on the mainboard. I have disabed the slave HDD and the slave DVD drive just in case (of what, I don't know).

I'll be honest, I haven't been able to figure out with these problems how to do a scandisk and/or chkdsk.

The last straw is this: I tried to do a repair and while it was still loading system files I got a blue screen with the following error message: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:, etc. (If anyone needs the whole message let me know.) It wasn't the first time as I got it one other time when I disabled automatic reboot on system failure. So now I'm stopping, and awaiting any suggestions.

Specs:
WinXP Pro SP2 (with all updates)
NAV (fully updated)
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
Spyware Blaster
Firefox
Thunderbird
Windows Firewall
512M DDR (Crucial)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
450W PS
128 M Video (MSI RX9200)
DFI NFII Ultra-AL Mainboard
80G WD (partitioned into two 40G)Master
40G WD (partitioned into two 20G)Slave

Thank you in advance for any suggestions anyone may have!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Pro restarting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Pro restarting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't know if this matters but,
by dudster71 / December 31, 2004 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: WinXP Pro restarting

I can't get my computer to boot from my Knoppix CD either.

Again, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Sounds like a hardware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 5:39 AM PST

But nothing in your post points to any specific item.

Hopefully you have some warranty so they will find and fix it for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Unfortunately,
by dudster71 / December 31, 2004 6:17 AM PST

The only warranty is my own, as I built this machine myself. I can usually figure these things out myself, but this one has me stumped.

Thanks though, and if anyone else has anything to add I would be more than happy to hear it.

Collapse -
Scale it all back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately,

1 stick of RAM, lowest clock rates in the BIOS, turn off L2 and L3 CPU CACHE, remove drives you can do without, pull the sound card, and so on till it works.

This smells of a power issue. Time and time again people think the power supply is big enough... It never is.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob,
by dudster71 / January 2, 2005 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Scale it all back.

will do and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Question though: Since the power supply has been working with this load for quite some time, do you think the PS may be failing? How long do they usually last?

Collapse -
About aging.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob,

Look at Figure 7 of http://www.edpsciences.org/articles/epjap/pdf/1999/01/ap8043.pdf

That chart is all of 6 months of aging. Today's "lowest cost wins" designs push such designs into your PC and why you may find me repeatedly looking at power supplies that were just big enough when new. Your 300 Watt supply is not what it was when new.

There are more studies about this, but I hope this answers why this is and why I never skimp on PSUs.

Bob

Collapse -
Very interesting reading
by dudster71 / January 3, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: About aging.

I believe the power supply is at least nine months old. Oh, and by the way, it's a 450W.

I'll try your suggestion and if that works I'll go pick up a new one. And, I won't skimp on cost. I usually don't anyways, I usually go mid-range.

Collapse -
That's new information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2005 12:53 AM PST

This is why I fit 450 (or heavy 400s) into such machines. As new, there is some 100+ spare Watts that we can expect to vanish over a few years.

I doubt the PSU is your issue. I'd downsize the machine, use a voltmeter to check the PSU voltages but would not replace the PSU unless the digital voltemeter showed an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Well apparently
by dudster71 / January 3, 2005 11:35 AM PST

it's a hard drive issue. I took my primary hard drive out of my computer and put it in my husband's computer as a slave first and then on a separate IDE channel next and both times it did the same thing. I.E. restarting over and over.

So, right now I'm going to the Western Digital site to download their diagnostic program so I can get this thing RMA'd. It's only about three months old.

Also, I haven't had a chance to load Windows on my spare drive so wish me well. Thanks!

Collapse -
XP restart
by mikes1953 / January 3, 2005 12:29 PM PST

make sure the ide cables are pushed ALL THE WAY into the dard drives and MOBO sockets, they could be cocked.

Collapse -
They definitely were
by dudster71 / January 3, 2005 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: XP restart

on both systems.

Collapse -
Win XP Pro with SP2 restarting
by umnama / January 3, 2005 5:39 PM PST

Hi, i have a very similar problem as well.
My pc specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
480w Antec power supply
128mb ATi radeon 9500 Sapphire
1GB Corsair RAM PC 3200
80GB Maxtor hard disk (Master)
160GB Maxtor hard disk (Slave)
Sony DVD Writer (M)
Sony CD Copier (S)

My pc for some unknown reason decided to keep on locking up and then rebooting. I started with replacing the heat sink fan, no change. I then replaced the graphics card with an older card to see if there was any change as i was told sometimes graphics cards have memory leaks, no change. I then replaced my 350w power supply with an Antec 480w supply and there was still the same freezing up and then rebooting problem. My final attempt was to re-install win xp with sp2 and update all drivers for the graphics card, still the same problem im afraid.

When the pc does restart, once back into windows the resolution and my Hz are all messed up, i have to restart the pc again to get my resolution back to normal.

The only thing left for me is to change the processor, as i recently bought that about 6 months ago. Should i try an old processor in the pc to see if that makes any change.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

Umar

Collapse -
It is reported in the article
by Cursorcowboy / January 3, 2005 9:12 PM PST

[Q873161] that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you are prompted to restart the computer, the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart. This problem occurs if you had a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer and the resolution is to start the computer in Safe Mode, remove the UMAX driver, remove Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP2.

Collapse -
Not sure what
by dudster71 / January 3, 2005 10:36 PM PST

a UMAX scanner driver is, but I've had SP2 on this system for approximately three months with no issues until now.

Collapse -
Check this out
by hounta / January 3, 2005 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure what
Collapse -
Well that
by dudster71 / January 4, 2005 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Check this out

explains it, thanks, but it doesn't apply here. Wrong stop error and such.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?