Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly

Newly placed into service MCS workstation,(Intel D865/P4@2.8-512mb Ram) XP-pro,sp1, LOADS! of workplace software, corporate install of xp, C drive is 20Gb WD, something very odd must have occurred recently, the drive in explorer says it's 500MB, with 493 MB free, disk management says full 20GB, booted with Partition Magic 8 CD and it shows full size too-error checks ok-both from CD and from windows, defragged, cleanup disk done, still sized wrong-, have no backups accumulated of when things were ok, any ideas what I can do?/check?/fix? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly

In reply to: WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly

Just asking. Are you using these forums to support a business. Some pattern is emerging in your posts. You are asking far too many questions for a PC owner.

Bob

Collapse -
No business-

In reply to: Re: WinXp pro HD size reported incorrectly

Just part of my job, what training I rec'd on modern pc's was overly casual,=I'm swimming as fast as I can mode, I try to find solutions by reading,searching and thinking logically, developing my toolkit of softwares-etc (Knoppix cd, HD floppies, Knowledge bases,etc.)My baseline position description ( does that give it away?) relates to semi-automatic testing, and the controller computers are Vax3500's...powers above believe computers are computers,period.. It is surprising what level of support I have become able to give based on where I started..Now back to my question, did quite a number of searches on variants of "Winxp drive size incorrectly reported" nothing that comes close to my symptoms or clues, went to next higher level of sys admins- ( various certs )not a glimmer of a fix there either. I could fix it with a reload I'm sure-but then the local software install is truly amazing..But since digging around in this I'm about 1/3 convinced that something they installed is probably what did the dance on the drive size in explorer, ( don't ask any s/w names) you should have seen their eyes when I showed the C drive size/free space- then took them to Disk management.....I'm still hopeful there is something registry related that might be done, I've also tried using ghost clone disk to disk onto a new HD, same symptom. I don't exactly think a repair install would help either..??

Collapse -
Re: No business- like a real install.

In reply to: No business-

I see I can't help you. Your install method sounds quite odd. Maybe Microsoft is best contacted on this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Size - - > Autosizer ? Old - - > Odd ?

In reply to: No business-

Maybe it's a side effect of Autosizer Wink , so instead of:

Maximizing windows - - > Maximized size

Old subject - - > Odd subject

Seriously though, I remember that you had something similar before. I refrained that time, so I'll have to ask : by any chance, did you install the freebies from the Intel's D865 motherboard CD ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Autosizer not on this computer

In reply to: Size - - > Autosizer ? Old - - > Odd ?

Canvassed other WG mngrs, no duplication of this bug, tried repair install, same result, about to decide to just go on, regular backups, sooner or later a hard enough crash will make time for a ground up reinstall, then rcover data, I now check each new setup for this before any customized S/W is installed, next pause in schedule I am going to try PM from the CD and see if that fixes it ( have complete cloned HD if it completely boogers XP) I wonder if repair install with SP2 CD would do anything?? ( Not permitted to put SP2 on anything yet...

Collapse -
Re: Autosizer not on this computer

In reply to: Autosizer not on this computer

Collapse -
AHAA!! that was the start of deciding to

In reply to: Re: Autosizer not on this computer

Track the original installer guy down, make him read the links-ask many pointed questions(almost bright lights/rubber hoses) and learn he was the creator of this mess in the first place-start with a HD originally FAT32,quick format-install XP as FAT32, then realize it should have been NTFS-convert-start installing the req software load, get a black screen after one of the reboots-throw in the XP CD-recovery console-fixboot and thats probably where it happened....told him it's his baby till he fixes it....sort of felt like Columbo at times. Guess it means there are times to recycle a drive and times not to....I had all along thought the unit was in "as delivered" state...thanks a heap..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.