Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

WinXP Possible Trojan - Windows will start, but unresponsive

by mjcntn / July 18, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

Anyone up for a challenge? Maybe this will be an easier fix than i expect, and maybe the hard drive is just dying infront of me; today, after waking my Dell D620 Laptop from sleep (closed over night) things seemed to be working fine... when trying to print out a internet explorer web page (google maps directions), IE. would fail and close ~send error report?.

So, reboot... and nothing's been right since. Widows will start up, i can log in under my user name (or guest) but little else progresses. The desktop image shows up, my icons, even the system tray programs, but nothing will actually respond.

After multiple reboots, restore points, and malwarebytes full system scan removing anything that it could find ((through safe mode... found Trojan.Agent in c:\windows\temp\data64.tmp)), i've had a few differnt results; sometimes i can get a program or two to open, but nothing works as it should, and programs like disk keeper wont open at all.

What sort of trouble have i got myself into? I've "fixed" a few computers around the office, that have had problems with the "antivirus xp 2008" bug, and thought that might be what i caught. Im scared now, to plug my flash drive into this laptop im using, to shuttle installer files back and forth.

So, here is sit, waiting for all the help i can get! (please)

**a couple common bug seems to be the HP ToolboxFX, takes forever to load (or try to load) and then fails with win32nt error message.

also, End Program - MSASCui.exe (coming up now, during the time it took to type this post)
More info needed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP Possible Trojan - Windows will start, but unresponsive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP Possible Trojan - Windows will start, but unresponsive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe your "best bet" would be......
Collapse -
risk of infecting compouter im using now?
by mjcntn / July 18, 2008 11:29 AM PDT

Yeah, i would have started with the hijk this route... im worried that if i stick my flash drive into the computer im using now, it might get infected as well... any thoughts?? I cannot get the other laptop to to connect to the internet to download the install file.

Collapse -
IF it is a "nasty".......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

...I would NOT use the flash drive.

Do you remember WHAT Malwarebytes found and deleted ?

Do you have CCleaner, so you could cleanup the "clutter", like temp. files, etc. ?

Is there anything "unusual" running in Startup?

Collapse -
items found...
by mjcntn / July 19, 2008 12:27 AM PDT

"Trojan.Angent" was what malwarebytes found the first time around... location was recorded in the log, but i think it may have been lost through the restore attempts ive made.

Symantec has Found; Adware.Starware (filename: music{1}.exe) c:\docs and settings\user\local settings\temp internet files\content.IE5\0I2Q0QHE

Just ran Malwarebytes again, and it picked up something new/ different;
Fake.Beep.Sys (file) c:\windows\system32\dllcache\beep.sys
(i removed it... no noticable difference)

I should also describe the system scans that were done, when this first started happening:

the dell Pre-Boot System Asseement tool, passed through the first few tests attempted, but failed on:
Test: DST Short Status test ~ Status: Error Detected!
Error code 1000-0146
msg: unit 0:DST Log contains previous errors.

No CCleaner (good to try?)

Unusual start up is that the Symantec shield icon, in the system tray, always shows up as soon as windows loads, but there is now an exclaimation mark (with a yellow circle) on top of the icon.

Collapse -
Re: Symantec icon
by Kees Bakker / July 19, 2008 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: items found...

I expect that if you click on it (or doubleclick, or maybe right click, can't try it here) it will show a message to 'explain' the exclamation mark. What does it say?

Kees

Collapse -
symantec/ everything is just slow or frozen up
by mjcntn / July 19, 2008 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Symantec icon

eventually, the symantec system tray icon will notify me that; "Symantec Anivirus Auto Protect is Disabled"... this word bubble/box usually won't make it's way onto the screen - desktop (except for mouse) stay's frozen.

Collapse -
Error code 1000-0146
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 19, 2008 12:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
found Malwarebytes log..
by mjcntn / July 19, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

what was found before was; Trojan.Agent (file) c:\windows\teemp\data64.tmp (reference # 45686)

Collapse -
Temp. file....... that should be GONE.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 19, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

To clean ALL Temp files:

#

Click on Start and then Run.
#

In the text box in the Run window, type %Temp% and click OK. A folder full of files and other folders will appear.

All of the folders and files you see in this Temp folder are no longer being used by Windows XP and can safely be deleted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!