Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

winxp installion problems

by uncleray / November 15, 2004 3:41 AM PST

Why am I having such a hard time getting WinXP to work? I have installed XP at least 3 times and it works for a while(and it works great!) then quits and I go back to ME. I have contacted Microsoft via their email support group but they haven't been too helpful. Now it seems to have gotten worse. I have tried 3 or 4 time to install it as an upgrade and once as a new install but in all cases it gets to the point of installation and it dies. No disk activity or CDROM activity. Now by the point of insallation I mean the black screen with a wide dashed line across the bottom and a message that says something like "press f4 to install a third party driver for RAID or SCSI" I don't have either of those so I wait a few seconds and I then get the message "wait" then the dashed line fills up. When it has filled up to a solid line then the screen goes all black and it dies. Now I have not made any hardware changes so why does it die at that point when it got past that point 3 or 4 times in the past? Could the CD be damaged? Another possibility is the hard drive. This is relatively new and every once in a while I get a message that says"hard disk fail" during boot up and I have to hit "reset" and start over. It always starts on the second try. Another thing I need some advice on, concerning the hard drive. After the BIOS has found the hard drive and before the boot-up starts I get a message that says "No 80 conductor cable installed". What does that mean? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: winxp installion problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: winxp installion problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: winxp installion problems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Your machine is not ready for XP. Since Microsoft didn't sell you your machine then you need to pester the supplier to FIX that 80 conductor cable message.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm shows how to install XP, but if you have machine issues, then you deal with that first.

For me, I'd buy and install the right cable.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: winxp installion problems
by uncleray / December 2, 2004 6:39 AM PST

OK I have resolved the 80 conductor problem and I no longer get the warning message. I have also updated my BIOS. I think it has something to do with the HD but I have tested it endlessly and the results always say "no problem found". Still no joy on installing XP. I have tried it by inserting the CD in ME and selecting "upgrade" and booting from the CD. If upgrading it stops at the point described in my original post. If booting from the CD, I get to the point on a blue screen which says" Windows Setup" in the upper left and at the bottom it says "Setup is starting windows" Then it dies. Is this the same point in both modes? I feel that if I knew what is happening at that precise point it would go far to isolating the problem.

Collapse -
This applies to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 6:45 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!