Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

WinXP drivers for D-Link DI-713p - wireless router

by gklein / December 14, 2004 5:23 AM PST

WinXP; Pent4: 512ram;

D-Links web site sates =
"Sorry, this product has been discontinued and is no longer supported by D-Link tech support. However, as a courtesy to our customers we will continue to provide the resources that are available on this page"

Was this ever compatible with XP ? Any place I can obtain the compatible drivers ?
Many thanks and Merry Christmas ALL
from Florida.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP drivers for D-Link DI-713p - wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP drivers for D-Link DI-713p - wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What "driver" would be needed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 5:30 AM PST

I use routers all the time and no driver was needed.

Can you reveal more?

Collapse -
the following 2 CD's can with it =
by gklein / December 14, 2004 7:03 AM PST

D-Link - DWL-120=Device Drivers; Quick Start Guide; User's Manual.
D-Link DI-713P = Print Server Software; Quicks Start Guide & User's Manual.

After installing both CD's, I could not connect to the internet with the cable modem connected to the router and the host computer connected to the router by Cat5 cable.
Following is a question from D-Link web site questions and answer: (do you think I need this FIRMWARE ?)
Also, I was expecting it to configure my settings automatically. Should I manually set the IP and Mac addresses ?
My DI-713P will not respond, how do I crash recover my router?

Note: If your DI-713P is working properly, DO NOT upgrade the firmware or use crash recovery mode. Only update the firmware if it specifically addresses your problem. Never apply a firmware update over a wireless connection.

Although this FAQ was written for the DI-713P, it also applies to the DI-704 and DI-704P (revA).

Step 1 Download the firmware for your DI-713P and save it to your Desktop. Below are links to the recomended firmware version for Crash Recovery Mode.

Download the firmware for your DI-713P here

Download the firmware for your DI-704P (revA) here

Download the firmware for your DI-704 here

Step 2 Unzip the firmware files to your desktop so they are ready and accessible.

How I extract the firmware?

Step 3 Assign the Network Card a static IP address of with a Subnet Mask of and a Default Gateway of

How do I assign my computer a static IP address?

Step 4 Power off the DI-713P. With the device powered off, press and hold the reset button using a paper clip or similar object. With the reset button still depressed, power on the DI-713P. Continue to hold the reset button. When the M1 & M2 begin flashing rapidly, release the reset button.

Step 5 Go to the firmware executable file you unzipped and double click on it. The DI-713P?s IP address should be found in the Firmware Upgrade window with crash next to it. You will not need to enter a password. Click on Upgrade and once the device has been successfully upgraded you will see Crash Recover Successful.

Collapse -
The unit should work as a router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 9:08 AM PST

The printer connection will likely be what you will lose.

Try that first. No drivers will be needed.

Collapse -
not working as a router
by gklein / December 14, 2004 9:50 AM PST

computer connected directly to cable modem works.

But when connecting computer to router (with cable from modem to WAN on router, and computer cable to any or the 3 ports (not using the uplink), it does not connect through the router. Yellow blinking light showing on router.
Guess the router is just history.
Many thanks for trying.
I'll just break down and buy a new LinkSys; there cheap enough.

Collapse -
Seems dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 9:55 AM PST

Any router I've had, works as a router with no drivers for said router. That printer port is an issue...

But did you try the IPCONFIG /RELEASE and renew?

Collapse -
Yes - disconnected the modem power and router power -
by gklein / December 14, 2004 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Seems dead.

for 10 seconds; reconnected power to modem - - -
then after it fully charged, I connected power to router and waited; still yellow blinking light - no connection.
Thanks for advising me no drivers are needed for connection as just a router.
I'll give it the last rights now.

Collapse -
D-Link D713P
by rapav / September 7, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

I bought my 713P when I had still had Windows 2000. It worked like a charm. Once I upgraded to XP or once others with XP tried to use my 713P, I was able to access the Internet however, sites requiring sign-in such as Hotmail would not get past the sign-in. If I plugged directly to my DSL modem, I had no such issues.

As someone said, D-Link no longer provides support for this router. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I could go buy another router but I think the router must be OK as I can access non-secured web pages.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?