Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WinXP: BSOD error on startup

by ncaudill / February 10, 2008 10:15 AM PST

Ok well earlier today i was downloading a CD,DVD writer program. It says it needs to restart to finish installation, so i click ok and it begins to shut down. Well, needless to say i had to get off kind of urgently so as the computer was shutting down for the restart, i just turned the computer off by holding in the on/off button. So when i got back around to getting on the computer,just before it got to where it loads windows, i get a BSOD error that says,

?A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you?ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation, or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x861A2A98, 0x00000000)?

So i restart and click start in last known good config to only get the same problem. It wouldn't start normally or in safe mode either. I can't get on my computer to attempt to do anything with it which is very annoying.

What exactly is wrong here and what needs to be done to fix this? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Note: I am no computer genious but i am no idiot with them either. This is the first issue that has really stumped me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WinXP: BSOD error on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WinXP: BSOD error on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mine did that
by foxyboy / February 10, 2008 8:43 PM PST

Mine did that last night, the only thing I could do was reinstall windows xp and do a search to recover lost files

Collapse -
2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 1:03 AM PST

1. Name that program you installed. I see you wrote you downloaded it. If there was a CRACK involved it's best to come clean.

2. "Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

Why not do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Reply to R.Proffitt
by ncaudill / February 11, 2008 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: 2 things.

The program was just Deamon Tools. I really just needed it to work with a few iso files. Nothing illegal.

After doing some more research most of what i found says to use the XP disk to run the recovery console and do chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. However, i do not believe i ever recieved this XP disk when i purchased the computer from dell 2 years ago. I have all the other disks i recieved from them, but i cannot find this disk, nor do i ever remember getting one in the first place.

I seen somewhere that i could download the "setup disk set" (6 discs) and use disc 1 to do this also or something? I'm not sure if any part of that is true or not, that is just what i have came across through my searches. Sorry if some of this seems like stupid questions but in my many years using computers, this is not something i have ever had to do before.

Collapse -
Ouch, ouch, ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to R.Proffitt

"Deamon Tools" is one of those that I write "don't" and "never again." I've seen too many machines at the counter due to that.

Sorry, while the 6 diskettes are downloadable they are used when a machine didn't boot the XP CD and are not a replacement for the XP CD. Call DELL NOW and begin the process of getting your restore CDs or XP CD.

I have heard of some Dells that use a recover partition but that is in the instructions.

If you can't afford to lose files, install a new hard disk, recover the machine with Dell's CDs then add your old hard disk to get your files back. Sorry, I do not think much or highly of "Deamon Tools" since it does come with spyware. Yes, some claim you can avoid it but it still comes with it.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) PS. DId you try LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Collapse -
Response to above.
by ncaudill / February 11, 2008 4:27 AM PST

Well, i didn't do a whole lot of looking into deamon tools, and the reviews i looked at were not from this site, but the feedback seemed positive and i didn't really think much of it at the time. Spyware i can cure so i don't think that will be too big of an issue.

What do you mean by "install a new hard disk". I'm not exactly sure what it is or how to go about doing it. Again, not something i've had to deal with before.

Ok so when i get the disks from dell, i need to install a new hard disk and then recover the old one? What happend to chkdsk /f?

And yes, i have already tried start in last known good config.

Thanks for your help, Rob.

Collapse -
Yes, try the chkdsk /f if you get your CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Response to above.

But I went fast forward to how I secure the owner's files.

Collapse -
What worked for me
by Jacqueline Goodison / May 13, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Response to above.

I know this post is a few months old, but in case anyone else is reading this, I wasn't able to boot in any mode and didn't have my Windows XP disks (Dell also) AND my CD drive wasn't working - I used the Active Boot Disk program (free download www.download.com I think although I found it on their website) and it booted my computer from a USB and I could get to DOS to fix the corrupt files. It was a HUGE help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!