Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Winword Runtime Error

by Rogge / August 23, 2004 1:09 PM PDT

I have a Dell, 512 mem, winxp pro, 40gb hard drive, cd burner, MS Office 2003 and some other programs.

Lately, just about every time I open and use Word I get a box with the following words:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime error!
Program:C:/Program files/microsoft office/office11/winword.exe
abnormal program termination
ok

When I click on 'ok' the entire program closes and if I haven't had a chance to save, all is lost.

I went to the control panel and the Office section and chose to run repair. That seemed to run fine and the message came back saying that MS Office 2003 was repaired.

Same problems.

I have gone to the MS update site and have SP1 for Office 2003 installed including KB830000 and when I run update check, it says I don't need any more updates.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rogge

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Winword Runtime Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Winword Runtime Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Winword Runtime Error
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Winword Runtime Error

Did you delete the normal.dot file and try again?

Collapse -
by Rogge / August 23, 2004 2:03 PM PDT

Thanks sir, that appears to have worked. I searched for normal.dot and only found one instance. I sent it to the recycle bin. I opened up winword and a generic template came up with times new roman as the font, and the other basic configurations. Using that I did some typing, inserted a photo and a couple of other things and waited. It appeared that nothing would happen.
So I went and opened up the normal.dot and made my personal customizations as to how I like to have a blank page open automatically in winword. I did some typying, inserted a photo, inserted and worked with a table, did some wordart and tried an envelope addressing and full page of same lables. Not much, but a few of the normal things I do. I waited about 5-7 minutes (without saving) and everything held as inputed so I guess that solved the problem. Just to be sure, I decided to save the document and wait awhile to see what happens. Well its been saved for a while and seems to be having the stability desired in a program like winword 2003.

Thanks again for your quick and accurate response.

Rogge

Oh, in the past I had been getting all sorts of wierd messages about normal.dot being corrupt; wanting to know if I wanted to save changes, etc. I think this will also solve that problem.

Collapse -
It's just the usual first response.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:24 PM PDT

It's an enduring bug that has been around in Word since at 1995. Rather than detail all the possible issues, you try this one first.

Some don't like that it tosses out a custom normal.dot.

Bob

Collapse -
Backup!
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2004 6:10 PM PDT

Those 'some' should include normal.dot in their backup procedure. Then, in case of corruption, they can restore an uncorrupted version, with all their custom changes and macro's.
It's a typical example of "backup what you don't want to lose (and can't easily get off a CD or the Internet)" or "backup everything you made yourself and still find interesting". It's a pity that in Windows 98 it's buried in Program Files by default, so easily overlooked.

Kees

Collapse -
Winword Runtime Error
by hamouche / January 16, 2006 11:10 AM PST

I tried replacing the normal.dot file but this did not solve my problem. I installed Office 2003 trying to get rid of the error. After installation a dialog box from Word 2003 came up asking if I wanted to disable the plug in for Acrobat 7. I checked yes box and my problem was solved.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 12:05 PM PST

I've never found a good one to replace normal.dot. I just delete it and let Word create it new and clean.

Can you share what article you are using to accomplish this? I've never read that we need to copy another one in.

Bob

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2004 4:58 PM PDT

Go into Explorer, find the default template normal.dot and delete it. Then try again.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks.
by johng100 / October 16, 2005 11:28 PM PDT

I had the same problem but with Winword 2002 (office XP version). This solved my problems. Thanks a lot, you guys are awesome! This had frustrated me for a couple of days. Especially when I would start outlook (I use word as the editor and viewer).

Anyway, thanks again!

Collapse -
THANKS but I have another problem.
by lavache2004 / November 15, 2005 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Thank you very much for the suggestion of erasing normal.dot!!
The web is full of silly suggestions I followed without results.

But I have a problem of another kind.
When I try to install a printer (I had them installed but they dissappeared

Collapse -
Re: another problem
by Kees Bakker / November 15, 2005 5:45 AM PST

Lavache,

This definitely isn't an Office problem, but a Windows problem. Please post either in Computer Help, or in the forum for your OS. Take care to tell your OS, and to tell what icon is yellowish. I can tell you in advance that I never heard of this problem, but maybe someone else has.

It might help if you tell if you can install the printer software directly from the CD that came with the printer? Or using the new hardware wizard from Config Panel? I don't know, in fact, if that last method will work, but the first generally does, if you carefully follow the instructions.

Kees

Collapse -
Normal.dot
by Jeffalt0153 / September 22, 2006 2:17 PM PDT

I tried searching for normal.dot using the windows search, but could not find it. Could anybody tell me where the file is supposed to be? Is it possible that I do not have the file, and that is causing the problem?

Collapse -
Keep searching!
by Kees Bakker / September 23, 2006 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Normal.dot

If you've got MS Word, you've got a default template, and that's normal.dot.
The location depends on your OS. In XP, it's somewhere in your Documents and Settings. All you need to find it is the search function (search for Files and Folders) in Windows Explorer.

It might help to set settings in Folder Options as follows:
- "Do NOT hide file extensions for known file types".
and possibly
- "Show hidden and system files", although it should be none of the two.

Or open a command window, go to the root folder (cd \)and type dir /s normal.dot. Note commands in a command window need enter-key to work.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dir.mspx?mfr=true tells you all about the dir command. But, as I said, it's only necessary to use it if you can't set Explorer to do as you want.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Deleted normal.dot - no success
by KingPsyrus / October 1, 2006 5:41 PM PDT

Hi

I'm experiencing the same issue. But deleting the normal.dot file doesn't help. Initially word opens up "normally" (missing all menu bars - incl. the main menu bar- , except for a separately installed dictionary ). After closing word, and opening it again I get "the" error message (as noted by the others in these posts). Normal.dot remains 'open' (hidden temp file).

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Your issue deserves it's own discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2006 10:05 PM PDT

It doesn't appear to be the same issue since normal.dot is never a hidden file and certainly does not remain open after Word exits.

That sounds more like some viral issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Will check for virus activity
by KingPsyrus / October 1, 2006 11:55 PM PDT

Thank you for the response.

The normal.dot file as such is not hidden. As far as I know, normally when a Word doc is opened a (which appears to me to be...) temporary file (which is hidden) is created in the same directory. This usually disappears when the Word doc is closed. The same seems to occur to the normal.dot file when Word is opened, only this "hidden" temp file (~$Normal.dot) never closes. We have Kaspersky Anti-virus running on the machine and it hasn't let me down yet when it comes to viruses.

Collapse -
normal.dot is not temporary either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2006 12:04 AM PDT

Something is amiss there. The other name you noted is possible and should vanish on close.

As to your choice of AV, what do you use for the second opinion?

I'll suggest EWIDO and HOUSECALL.

Bob

Collapse -
same problem
by tgwest / December 29, 2005 6:28 AM PST

I have the same problem. The only difference is I know almost nothing about computers! I am trying to type a paper and print it out; nothing fancy, and keep losing everything! Help!
Thanks, tgwest

Collapse -
Same solution then?
by Kees Bakker / December 29, 2005 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: same problem

Tgwest,

Use Windows Explorer to find all occurrences of normal.dot on your c:-drive and delete them. It might help to set the program (in the Folder Options) to NOT hide extensions of known filetypes, so you will easily see the full filename.

One of the advantages of knowing almost nothing about computers is that you probably won't lose custom settings in your normal.dot, because you didn't know how or why to make them.

If the first paragraph is Turkish for you, find someone (or an introductory book on using Windows) to help you with mastering the basics of Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
You're the bomb, Kees!
by Kootney / June 7, 2006 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Same solution then?

I was not able to open Word, always receiving the "runtime error" message.

Once I found the three instances of "Normal.dot" in various "Templates" folders, I renamed them and voila, I was able to open and work within the Word application again.

My IT Group had repaired MS Office, removed and replaced Office to no avail, and was passing me up the IT food chain.

Collapse -
This is what I did if none of this works.
by Krass of Nod / January 27, 2006 3:04 AM PST

I noticed that my mothers computer has never had problems with this and i have had problems with it twice. the first time I did not know how to fix it. What i reasoned the second time was that she had never gotten the Office 2003 service pack or any other updates for that matter. So i went through erased word again but this time I went into regedit[BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU TELL IT TO ERASE HERE] and removed it's entries there. This time when I installed it however I DID NOT USE THE UPDATES FOR IT OR OFFICE and it worked fine. the .dot files would not come out because it said it could not find them on the disc, and that is what would cause this to happen. If the files were not there it might think you were trying to mimic or utilise one of those document templates and cause the program to terminate abnormally.

I am not a professal, this is only an educated guess. This solution did work for me. the others here did not so I thought I would add this here incase anyone else encounters the same trouble.

Collapse -
Addendum: Correction
by Krass of Nod / January 27, 2006 3:08 AM PST

Sorry about the last sentence there in the first paragraph.

It should say: If the program went looking for the template and it was not there, that would explain why it terminates abnormally. It was probably not coded to handle the missing template since the template came from an update. Either that or it just doesn't understand and crashes immediately.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.