Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Winter preparation...

by Willy / October 21, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

If you recall I got sick last winter and pretty much changed my life. It lead to a finding of a poor heart not to exclude the pneumonia I was having that got to this point. Well, to make a long story short I hope to improve the home to better weather the winter.

I've already got a replacement 500gal. propane tank(great deal) and now installing more insulation. The ad-hoc insulation is being replaced with R-25 rated insulation. In some areas, rolled over the better older insulation. New windows were already put in 3yrs. ago but now they can really work better as i plan to add curtains that better insulate or block-out the in/out of heat transfer. I already have a good furnace, but the ducting needs to be replaced(funds?) when I can but not now. Also, I have a wood pile that mucks any past piles of yrs. ago. I hope also to replace the wood burner fireplace with a more efficient model, but since the house is so small all those fancy burners actually would roast me out so I look for a model that puts out btus at smaller levels(I know). Oh yeah, I've darned my socks and long johns to be 100%. Happy -----Willy brrrrr!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Winter preparation...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Winter preparation...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My annual ritual
by JP Bill / October 21, 2009 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Winter preparation...

Covered over my window air conditioner.

I have a piece of 2" thick styrofoam I put in the bay window in my living room at night or really dark/snowy days when there is no significant sunlight, and almost finished the annual task of converting my lawn tractor into a snow thrower.

Collapse -
i can only dream
by jonah jones / October 21, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

(of winter) were having a heat wave here, temps in the 90's and
i even had to run the AC a couple of times

Collapse -
Summer too...
by Willy / October 21, 2009 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: i can only dream

The new insulation should help during the summer. It always seemed that at around 3pm, the heat would finally make it through from the roof. It would take until 10-11pm to dissipate if not having a fan or two to help it. During the morning and early afternoon, considering I didn't use any cooling other than house closed, I was fine until mentioned above. I did breakdown and get an A/C unit for the bedroom for those real bad nights.

I lived in the desert for awhile and had some pretty tough days&nights to pass before I got used to it, the heat. I mean it really got hot and heaven forbid you forget to cover the drivers seat and/or windshield using some shield.

Just between you and me, just why do people in the desert continue to plant grass or gardens as if they were on the east coast. Sure, some are smart and plant native or use what should be capable of little water, but come on, grass? -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
lol! we could be neighbours
by jonah jones / October 21, 2009 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Summer too...

#Just between you and me, just why do people in the desert continue to plant grass or gardens as if they were on the east coast. Sure, some are smart and plant native or use what should be capable of little water, but come on, grass?#

there are towns in Israel that were settled by "Anglo-Saxons", they have gardens and lawns that wouldn't be out of place in any country town in England

Collapse -
today
by James Denison / October 21, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

I gathered my late sweet corn in. Had one for lunch. After wife says how many she wants left in the shuck, I'll do the rest. I then microwave a minute per cob, let cool on a rack and then freeze them all. The heat treatment kills the enzymes that convert sugar to starch, so they stay sweet. I have about 90 from a 30x30 foot section I planted in mid July.

I still need to split some wood. Mostly heat by electric right now. I have oil left over, but burner is busted, not worth fixing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!