Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Wins XP and Norton AV 2001 issue

by kiwiggnz / December 15, 2005 4:59 AM PST

Even though Norton AV 2001 is loaded and running XP security alerts is showing the following message at startup....Your computer might be at risk,Antivirus software may not be installed..... XP has not had a problem recognising NAV 2001 since it was installed along with all updates several mths ago.NAV Live update is also working normally. Can anyone help with this problem.

Cheers
GG

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wins XP and Norton AV 2001 issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wins XP and Norton AV 2001 issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NORTON AV
by gmperry / December 15, 2005 5:03 AM PST

Have you tryed to update to the latest, 2006 is out
& woorks good. Good Luck, gmp

Collapse -
Re: Wins XP and Norton AV 2001 issue
by Tufenuf / December 15, 2005 6:20 AM PST
Collapse -
wow
by troyboy / December 15, 2005 12:30 PM PST

It is true NAV2006 has been out for awhile. That means you can pick up 2005 program for about $10-15. In fact I would recommend you buy Norton's Internet Security which also includes NAV2005 for $14 on ebay.
Trash 2001

Collapse -
Norton
by crazeebob2000 / December 15, 2005 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: wow

I fail to see why anybody would use such a crap program as Norton. Can anybody explain?

Collapse -
I'll explain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2005 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Norton

Peter Norton is a really great guy in the world of PCs. His works were trustworthy and solid. As all things do tend to devolve, the marketing of Norton in or about the year 2000 saw a shift from his high standards to passable (or not) products with his name blazoned on the packages in hopes it would boost market share.

Today, with an over 5 year slide of quality issues and gaffes, Symantec still milks the name since some remember what good products Peter had.

McAfee didn't do much better when Windows ME was tossed into the market. Their AV wasn't ready then but slowly recovered. I'm almost betting that they had lost some braintrust (employees) and were trying to get by with as little staff as possible during those years.

Today we have some issues with products that attempt to do far too much in one package and end up with chinks in the armor. Also, Symantec ignored spyware for years because (quote from Symantec staffer) "it's not a virus."

-> In closing, you have choices.

Bob

Collapse -
so the deal seems to be............
by kiwiggnz / December 16, 2005 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: I'll explain.

I can try un-install/re-install or that I put up with the annoying pop-up warning and red shield in my sys tray or I pay between $80---$120.00 NZ to upgrade to NAV 2006. This means I will most likely loose the ''free'' Live-Update that I've had since the purchase of NAV 2001.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers
GG.

Collapse -
NIS2005
by troyboy / December 16, 2005 9:57 PM PST

Is $120 NS the same as $14 US? That is the going rate on ebay. In addition to a full install of NAV2005 and latest Live Update, you get a great firewall of protection plus Spamblocker that removes ''all'' advertisements from sites you are surfing to.
I am a believer you pay for what you get but if you are living on a real tight budget download the ''free'' AVG antivirus software. Some people swear by it as being better than purchased software.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

So dump 2001 or reinstall Windows 98. Your option

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.