Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

winnt.exe

by asfisher / October 13, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

After installing sp2 security popped up and asked did i want to allow winnt.exe. This is in my proces list and my start-up list, but can not find it on website "answers that work". Can somebody please let me know what it is. I have it disabled at the moment. Any suggestions???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: winnt.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: winnt.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: winnt.exe
by tleroy-homecomputeraid / October 13, 2004 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: winnt.exe

asfisher,
I believe winnt.exe is used only when you're doing Windows installation. It seems very unusual that it's running, and that it's asking to get to the Internet. I'd definitely run some asware/spywre utilities like Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy.

Sincerely,

Ted

Collapse -
by asfisher / October 16, 2004 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: winnt.exe

thanks for your help i have run 3 spyware and norton which is up to date, all clean. i have disabled it so i will just leave alone. thanks again

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 14, 2004 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: winnt.exe

asfisher,

Like Ted mentioned above, Winnt.exe is normally run during the set up phase of an operating system and there shouldn't be a reason for it to run now. Can you give us the EXACT message that you're receiving? Where is the file located? The "real" Winnt.exe file should be located in the 'C\I386' folder. Is that where the "call" is coming from?

Which start up location is it listed in? If it's currently listed in the Start-All Programs-Start Up, can you simply delete it from that location and does it stay gone?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by asfisher / October 15, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

it is listed in the start up tab list when i run msconfig. it was listed in my task manager list of processess. i ended the process and unticked it from startup now it is gone and stayed gone. when i run search it is listed as WINNT in the 'C\I386' folder. Wnen it was in my process list it was "winnt.exe" I have checked of all my running processess and my task manager still runs at 2% with nothing running. I have run spybot it is clean Norton is up to date and it is clean and i run Webroot spysweeper and it is clean too. I am so confused please help!!!!

Collapse -
Pretty Strange....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 11:53 AM PDT

asfisher,

If you look in "msconfig-start up tab" and the path is the same, (C\I386) then it's clearly not necessary to run at start up. As you've seen, unchecking it and removing it from the "Processes" helps the situation. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why it's even there. I've checked quite a few machines and can find none with that Winnt.exe in the start up processes.

At this point, I would search for possible locations where the start up "call" is being initiated. It's your choice here as leaving it like it is should be just fine... BUT, If you can remove the start up call, the process should be removed from "msconfig" and should no longer be a problem. First, make sure to make a backup of the registry using the instructions below, then check the registry paths I list. Next, you'll need to go back and enable the process in "msconfig" and the "Processes" section. After doing so, restart the machine, then check in the following locations. If you find the key, then simply delete the specific key and the start up should no longer occur.:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, make sure all the registry keys are minimized by clicking on the - (minus signs) next to each one, then click "My Computer" in that window to highlight it. Next, Click on "File" in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Export". When the next window opens, make sure the "All" option is checked in the "Export Range" area in the lower left, be sure of the location where you are saving the file to (I usually save it to the desktop) and give the file a name like "Backup". Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like.

The registry paths below are good possibilities:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you find and delete the "bad" registry entry regarding Winnt.exe, then click on the X in the upper left corner of the Registry Editor window, then restart the machine. If the problem is now gone, and everything is working correctly, then delete the "Backup.reg" file on your desktop. You don't want to accidently restore the registry.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Pretty Strange....
by asfisher / October 16, 2004 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Pretty Strange....

Thanks for all the info but checking the registry as you instructed did not find the bad registry entry. everything is running fine after disabling it, so i think i will just leave as is. So happy i found these forum pages,relly enjoying learning new stuff all the time.Computers are really challenging at times but finding that with patience everything is able to be conquered eventually. Thanks everyone at cnet

Collapse -
Virus
by richardlatt / August 3, 2009 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Pretty Strange....

Its actually a virus downloader i guess. but mine was like "winntR1.exe" "winnt1.exe" "winnt2.exe" afew of them starting with winnt__.exe really slow my pc down. it cant be found with spy bot finally its been removed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.