Mac Applications forum

General discussion

winmail.dat files

by 41hijinx / March 5, 2010 6:59 AM PST

I have a 13" macbook pro, 4 gig ram, os 10.6.2. How can I open a winmail.dat file? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: winmail.dat files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: winmail.dat files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ahh, the infamous winmail.dat files,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: winmail.dat files

Don't you just love Microsoft! (Rhetorical, no answer required)

The problem is caused by Outlook decided which format it is best to send emails in.

Outlook can be configured to prevent this happening, so if it keeps happening to you with emails from the same person, direct them to this site:

Meanwhile, just pop over to this site:
and download this little utility.
Follow the instructions and you will be able to open and read the email.

Let us know how you get on.

Collapse -
won't open
by 41hijinx / March 5, 2010 8:17 PM PST

I downloaded the file for 10.5 and above, but when I try to open the winmail.dat file nothing happens. Is it compatible with 10.6.2 I wonder? Thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
At the risk of teaching you how to suck eggs,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: won't open

try this:
On the email with the offending winmail.dat file, save that attachment to the desktop.

Launch the TNEF application, it works on 10.6.2, and choose Open from the menubar at the top of the screen.
Navigate to the desktop and choose the winmail.dat file that you saved there.

Any better?

Of course, you may have already done all of the above. In that case, sorry.

Collapse -
this is the result of my research on these files:
by Mr. Gregg / March 6, 2010 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: won't open

winmail.dat is a windows-only file that often gets sent over exchange server accounts. It doesn't contain any useful info for a Macintosh mail client because you can't follow the data back to the source from your computer. winmail.dat files can only be received by other Microsoft Exchange users. No one else can view them without additional software or having the Exchange user reconfigured.

Sorry, I don't have the source. Might've been Wikipedia.

Collapse -
(NT) They have the additional software
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 6:15 AM PST
Collapse -
by 41hijinx / March 6, 2010 10:19 PM PST

Thank you again. Well I followed your instructions but when I click on the winmail.dat file I get a box in the upper left of the screen entitled "winmail.dat:." Below that "embedded files" and beside that "attributes". Below in the box: b

What is going on?

Collapse -
Don't know,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: stymied

and without that .dat file it is almost impossible to find out.

If you really want to know, you could email it to me, email me via my profile and let me know.

Collapse -
your profile
by 41hijinx / March 7, 2010 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Don't know,

Thanks for your offer, but when I went to your profile and clicked on email mrmacfixit I did not see a button for an attachment. Please advise.

Collapse -
An alternative app
by Kevin M. Dean / March 7, 2010 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: your profile
Collapse -
Nowhere for an attachment
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 7, 2010 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: your profile

I'll give you an address after you email me

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?