Computer Help forum

General discussion

WindowsXP look in Windows7

by skypack / December 1, 2009 12:08 PM PST

Is there a program available that will make Windows7 look like the classic look in WindowsXP?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it seems to me that Microsoft changed the look in Windows7 for change sake alone and I'd hate to learn how to navigate Windows in a new way when I have finally set up my system just the way I like it in WindowsXP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WindowsXP look in Windows7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WindowsXP look in Windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You took the words right out of my mouth!
by RCF_Rose / December 1, 2009 5:26 PM PST

Exactly how I feel about it.

Collapse -
I didn't use ANY program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:06 PM PST

I am on 7 now and the start bar is now back to normal enough for me. I used google and asked "How to" do that. Took about 3 minutes.

Collapse -
WindowsXP look in Windows7
by skypack / December 2, 2009 3:16 AM PST

Thanks to Bob Proffit for the suggestion to Google my question.

Bob said he didn'tuse a program to change the Win7 look, but google came up with a freebie program (CSMenue_setup_1_1.exe)that supposedly gives the Win7 start menu the XP look.

I haven't tried it yet, but before I do I wish Bob would explain in a little more detail what he did without this program.

Collapse -
It's good for you
by Jimmy Greystone / December 2, 2009 12:51 AM PST

It's good for you. All research into cognitive functions and neurology say that the more you actively engage your mind the longer you remain in full control of your mental faculties in later life.

And what exactly is different about the way Win7 looks compared to XP? Three buttons in the title bar, that is the same configuration used since Win95 14 years ago: Check. Close window button still red: Check. Icons on the buttons the same as they have been since Win95: Check.

The Start menu is a bit different from Win95-2000, but if you give it a chance, it's actually fairly useful over the old one. But it's nearly identical in Win7 as it was in XP by default. The only real difference is if an app supports the new task bar menu system, the name of which eludes me at the moment. It's a purely optional sort of thing, and you only see it if you hover the mouse over such an app.

The taskbar has been made to resemble the Dock which first made its appearance in NeXTStep, and then Mac OS X after Apple bought NeXT and used it as the foundation for their new OS. I honestly think it's far more logical in its current incarnation compared to how it was in Win95-Vista. It's a more natural way of grouping all program windows together. It could use with some tweaking, but it's a good first effort.

I'm not overly fond of their changes to the control panel, but a big part of life is change, and adapting to that change, so that's what I intend to do.

So, aside from some minor cosmetic changes, I'm left scratching my head as to what exactly is so different about Win7 that a person of at least average intelligence couldn't figure it out and adapt with ease. There haven't been any radical and fundamental changes to the way Windows operates since Windows95, and even that is pushing the definitions of those words. A lot of things that have been in Windows since at least 3.1, are still there in Win7, operating in pretty much exactly the same way, they might just look a little different. But not so much that a person of at least average intelligence shouldn't be able to quickly adapt to said changes.

Collapse -
(NT) And here I am trying to do the opposite!
by jpboyrox / December 2, 2009 6:16 AM PST
Collapse -
A guess...
by jpboyrox / December 2, 2009 6:17 AM PST

I have not used Win 7 but if I was trying to do that in XP I would go to "services.msc" and play with the "Themes" options

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?