Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows98 SE will not detect PCI modem

by DavidatMPA / March 4, 2005 3:43 AM PST

I've got a Win98 PC here (i do computer repair in this area) and for some reason it will not detect a PCI modem i'm attempting to install - nor any PCI modem for that matter (I've tryed different ones)

It does however detect a network card, so the PCI slot isn't bad. This thus leads me to believe its some type of IRQ conflict. if this however is the case, why does it not show up in device manager with a conflict? That being said, I can't see a modem section or any "PCI Comunciations device" or ANY unknown device in device manager. Thus my point - I can't even get windows to DETECT IT! If it would detect it, I'd install the drivers and be on my way. I've been working on this sense monday and CAN NOT figure it out. It is thus that I come here to you, hoping for any idea of what this could be!

Again, my situation is:
I have a PCI modem. I put it in the PCI slot. I can NOT SEE IT under device manager - at all. When I run the add new hardware wizard - it DOES NOT FIND IT. when I search for a modem - it DOES NOT FIND ONE. It is as if its not even in the PC.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I've tryed throwing in other PCI cards, like a sound card and the like, and they all get detected without an issue! I've tryed differnet modems (3 differnet ones to be exact) and none of the 3 get detected? What in the world is going on here?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows98 SE will not detect PCI modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows98 SE will not detect PCI modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Remember this...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 4:30 AM PST

Windows 98 doesn't support PCI modems. What we always end up doing is installed motherboard drivers, then the modem driver. Then 98 can use the modem. It's inaccurate to write and expect 98 to support such a modem.

Bob

Collapse -
No drivers though...
by DavidatMPA / March 4, 2005 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Remember this...
Collapse -
I supplied the usual...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: No drivers though...

The usual is ... motherboard drivers, then the modem drivers.

If you don't need motherboard drivers, then you proceed to modem drivers.

Again, no PCI modem I've encountered works or is detected by Windows... Until I install its drivers.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
PCI Modem & Win98
by ramusson / March 4, 2005 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: Remember this...

You need the modem drivers to install the pci modem in win98.

Go to control panel, modems - add - NO auto detect - have disk: Insert the disk or cd of the modem driver ....

PS I'm using a PCI modem in my system where the OS is Win98.

Collapse -
Tryed!
by DavidatMPA / March 4, 2005 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: PCI Modem & Win98

Yep, I've done that. Because it doesn't get autodetected, then i punch "Have disk" and it still DOES NOT DETECT THE MODEM EVEN AFTER RESTART ECT. no icon in device manager still.

Collapse -
Tryed!
by ramusson / March 6, 2005 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Tryed!

When u punch the "have disk" does it show a modem or a modem list to choose from? If it does not, then it seems there is no modem driver present in the disk.

That aside, I am interested in this drama!

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2005 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Tryed!
I have a PCI modem. I put it in the PCI slot. I can NOT SEE IT under device manager - at all. When I run the add new hardware wizard - it DOES NOT FIND IT. when I search for a modem - it DOES NOT FIND ONE. It is as if its not even in the PC.

Go to control panel, modems - add - NO auto detect - have disk: Insert the disk or cd of the modem driver ....

Yep, I've done that. Because it doesn't get autodetected, then i punch "Have disk" and it still DOES NOT DETECT THE MODEM EVEN AFTER RESTART ECT. no icon in device manager still.

1. With no modem device in your system or any listed anywhere in any context menu as being present, follow "ramusson's" procedure.

a. On the General tab, the white window should be blank.

b. Click the Add... button that brings up a context that has a box labeled "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list.. Click so that box has a checkmark in it, and then click Next.

c. You should have an Install New Modem context showing Manufacturers in the left and Models in the right. If the modem you're installing is not listed, then click Have Disk . .. Otherwise, select the appropriate Manufacturer and Model from the list and then click Next. If you click Have Disk. . ., you'll be prompted to provide the path to where such a driver is located -- either a floppy, CD, or perhaps a folder on the hard drive somewhere. In any case, from that point you'll have to follow the path as you know it to ensure the driver for the modem is installed. Once accomplished, shutdown the computer and turn it off. Insert the modem into a slot and turn the computer on. During boot it should find and attempt to set Windows up with the modem on some COM Port.

d. Some modem drivers are issued in the form of Zipped or Executable .EXE files which only require a user to run the setup program to do the above for you. Once completed, a user usually only has to turn the computer off, put the modem in, and then turn the computer on so Windows sets things up hopefully on a usable COM Port -- changeable by the user from Device Manager should there be a conflict.

2. Now tell us which steps you are missing or what the problem is for a given step/procedure and the reason for any anomaly or error?
Collapse -
Ok done
by DavidatMPA / March 6, 2005 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Ok I did this exactly as you described. The only abonormality was after I installed the modem - it prompted me to chose a comm port to use. between COMM1 COMM2 or LPT printer port. I chose comm 2. Modem appeared properly. I turned PC off - threw card in. All went well. Went into device manager- modem was there just like it was suposed to be. Tryed to connect to internet and got:

Could not detect modem. It may be in use, turned off, or not installed properly.

I still don't believe windows is really seeing the modem.

Collapse -
Ok done ?
by ramusson / March 6, 2005 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Ok done

a PCI modem will not take Com1 or Com2. These are normally reserved for External devices.

If there was a choice of modem selection, which I think there must have been, you seem to have chosen the driver for an External Modem made by the same manufacturer. That's why you get a choice of Com1 or Com2.

There may be another selection possible which may have a keyword like "internal" or "PCI" .....

Request another try!!!!

Collapse -
I just installed the drivers off the modem CD
by DavidatMPA / March 7, 2005 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Ok done ?

I didn't select the modem out of hte list - I used the drivers off the CD that came with the modem. I've also downloaded the most up-to-date drivers for the modem and tryed that as well.

Collapse -
Then you need to find a working modem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2005 2:39 AM PST

If that modem doesn't work, return it and try another.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2005 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Ok done
Collapse -
ole man Proffitt had a farm.....
by reefurbb / March 4, 2005 9:24 PM PST

If you do casual repair, you should know how to check the mobo chipset numbers, go to the mfg site and get mobo drivers. Device Manager might even show it has the drivers, 440BX for example, but not all of the components or maybe old drivers-corrupted.
But you said it would detect other PCI devices and Device Mgr has no yellow icons.
W98SE DOES detect PCI cards (Bob) but lists them as PCI Communication Device, as you already know. Bob referred to the idea that W98SE won't detect the specific device (Rockwell PCI modem) by name until drivers are installed.
Yes, try the card in each PCI slot, but you said you already did that. Take all other cards out.
You should know how to set CMOS BIOS for "default" or "setup default" which is faster, to make sure PCI slots aren't reserved or such.
Lastly, I have several PCI modems that won't recog, or recog and won't work because they are busted-partially busted. www.newegg.com cheap new modems.
NOTE: newer modems usually require 233mhz mmx minimum,
for the software I think, as I have a few that the drivers and modem will work on 166mmx.

Collapse -
Done already
by DavidatMPA / March 5, 2005 11:36 PM PST

Yep, I've already looked for specific drivers for my motherboard - and I found it - however there aren't any drivers for it. Now I'm looking for PCI IRQ steering drivers for Win98SE, in an effort this will cause the PCI card to be detected.

I've tryed clearing the CMOS -

I've tryed 3 different BRANDS of modems.

Its just modems that don't get reconized, I've popped in a soundcard as well as a network card and both get reconized (not the exact name but like you said - PCI Ethernet device) and once drivers are installed - it comes up with the exact name. My modem doesn't appear period - hence the issue.

Thank you for the reply.

Collapse -
Again... modems are never "recognised" by 98 until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Done already

The motherboard and modem drivers are installed. It drives some OS installers (people) nuts. So far, Windows is not an install and use OS.

And about motherboard drivers. Not all boards need them.

If you are having this much trouble with PCI modems, it's time to move to external modems that connect with the serial port. No drivers are required for those.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes they do Bob....David, pci steering is ok...
by reefurbb / March 6, 2005 8:44 PM PST

1. I've had 3 different 56k ext modems and had to find drivers for all. ME-XP probably has generic auto-install.
2. W98SE does not have drivers for most PCI devices. If you try to use some mfg modem from W98SE native list, you'll get the Com port request and the modem won't work because of wrong drivers. PCI modems are usually assigned com3-com4. IF W98Se detects a pci device AND asks for drivers AND you select a mfg from the list, you'll get a warning "the driver you have chosen is not for this device....."
3. W98SE has mobo drivers for most before 1997, therefore not offered-found at mfg site. OK.
4. if other pci devices install-work ok, "System Devices" will show needed devices (pci steering) at that time.
5. What is the mobo chipset numbers? (Intel or Via)
6. where did you get drivers for the 3 diff brand modems? Not that important, as you said W98SE must first see them. That question still hasn't been answered enough.
7. We assume you tried things with all other add-in cards removed (except video).
8. every time you changed CMOS battery, how did you reset BIOS "setup"? "load setup defaults" "load BIOS defaults" ? Date-time? PNP OS, yes or no.

Collapse -
Let me be more specific.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 8:53 PM PST

I deal with mostly machines that install the Windows 98se from the retail release of this OS. Some 9 out of 10 or higher modems are unusable in Windows 98se without finding drivers.

Those questiosn do not appear to be for me, yet your reply is to me.

And those modems that are detected by Windows 98se rarely announce they are a modem but some PCI serial entry either in unknown or end up in the modem or such and again unusable.

-> There are however some machines that come preloaded with drivers for many other devices in an attempt to cut down on tech support calls. HP, Compaq, Dell, others? pre-installed many drivers that would have some printers and other hardware magically work when you plug said device in.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, we are in agreement...
by reefurbb / March 6, 2005 9:40 PM PST

His problem is that they are not detecting at all for anything, which is a bad modem (3 of them?) or something else because other pci devices detect ok.
I used to have some ISA cards, none pci, that DID have to have the drivers installed first, for proper recog, and using the hdwr wizard led to troubles for installing from folder. A few times, W98 put in in-house drivers that wouldn't work and the inf file had to be deleted to use the mfg files.
On some older modems, you had to disable Com2 in BIOS as that's the only port(IRQ) that installation would use.
I've never had a good used or new pci modem that didn't first detect as "pci communications device".

Collapse -
Same...
by DavidatMPA / March 7, 2005 3:04 AM PST

Same for me...they always will appear as SOMETHING regardless of the drivers being installed or not. If i could just get that much out of this system, I'd be well on my way to a happy life. (Or at least a life without this PC in my office!)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!