Alert

Windows7Sleeps&CannotWakeup

Ive had e machine since February.
As the title states my windows 7 sleeps and won't wake up. The machine is running, the harddrive is spinning but the keyboard and USB mouse have no lights and the monitor is sleep. I have to reboot the machine. It appears to be a heating issue b/c it happens randomly and after it happens it can quickly happen again.<div>I had a minidump file that I lost that indicated the video driver did not respond quickly enough.
I reformated, Iflashed bios. I had reinstalled/updated video drivers. That temporarily fixed the problem. I then borrowed a buddy's video card. For a week I had no problems then it did it to me.The machine went to sleep. I restarted and after a few minute sit went to sleep agian. I waited then was able to play for about 15 minutes before it did it again.
Only thing I can think of is to RMA my whole machine piece by piece since its all still under warranty.
I once found apost by a guy who said this problem was related to his USB drives.
</div>

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows7Sleeps&CannotWakeup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows7Sleeps&CannotWakeup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried Hibernate?

If the machine is unused for any length of time then Hibernate may be better. That way, everything gets turned off, and restored to it's working state prior to the hibernate.

If it is only inactive for a short while, why not use the screen saver instead of sleep?

Mark

- Collapse -
thats not it

You're misunderstanding me. I have sleep turned off. I dont know why my machine is doing this. Someone told me about S3 in my bios but my bios is set to S1. I dont use S3 b/c I have an MSI mobo.

- Collapse -
Screensaver?

Sorry I did misunderstand you it seems. I didn't see in your first post where this was happening against your wishes.

Do you have a screensaver running? If so, check that the "Power options" to see if the system is going to sleep after a set time.

If not then I think your original plan looks likely, report it to the suppliers and RMA it.

Mark

CNET Forums