PC Hardware forum

General discussion

windows7 installed on wrong drive, I want to remove xp.

Here's a corker for you!
I have 2 Hard Disc Drives in my pc.
C drive ran (and will still run) windows xp and is 80gb.
This is set as the master drive on slot IDE1.
My other hard disc is drive F and is 120gb, it has no jumpers in the back and operates as the slave drive (it was a music store) and is on IDE 2.
(I want to use this drive (F) as the primary drive after installing Windows7 on it (meaning I want to use it as a new C Drive) because of its bigger storage capacity, and it's a lot newer).
I formatted the F drive to clean it ready for swapping the drives around and installing Windows 7, having read that I needed to do a clean install due to running XP.
I then inserted my Windows 7 installation disc (32 bit, It's not a big system), and switched off.
I removed the C drive, replaced it with the formatted F drive on IDE1 and fitted the jumper to the master pins, started up again expecting an auto run of the installation.
No auto-run, nothing, anywhere, nada!
So, I swapped the drives and jumper settings back to how they were.
I restarted.
I was asked which drive I wanted to install windows 7 on and selected my F Drive, thinking I could remove the C Drive and replace it with the F Drive (the new C Drive) with Windows7 on and use it as the only operating system.
Installation went ok, updated my drivers, re-established my internet connection, installed anti-virus, installed my Easy Transfer File.
Fine!
Thought it would be a simple process of swapping my C & F drives by swapping the IDE Cables and jumper settings on the hard drives (I want to reformat the 80gb drive and use it for storage).
No go!
If I have the F drive configured as the master I get the message NTLDR is missing, Press shift+alt+del to re-start, in a never ending circle.
When I have the C Drive (xp)set as master I am asked which operating system do I wish to start. Obviously Windows 7 on the F Drive.
It runs fine like that,but I'd prefer to have the 120gb F Drive as the main drive (C) and my 80gb C Drive as a storage drive with windows xp removed.
I've looked into re-assigning drive letters but don't think that's a good solution, I still can't remove the current C Drive with XP on and use the F Drive with windows 7 on as the primary hard drive.
Does that make sense?
Yes I know, amateurs, leave it to the pros, but you've got to learn sometime.
Thanks in advance for any help
Andy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows7 installed on wrong drive, I want to remove xp.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows7 installed on wrong drive, I want to remove xp.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows will ignore your drive letter desire

In reply to: windows7 installed on wrong drive, I want to remove xp.

during installation. It doesn't care about master/slave either. It will look for valid partitions during installation and pick a drive letter next in the order of what it finds. What you need to do is have only one fixed drive in the machine when the OS is installed. This includes USB externals, flash drives, etc. With no valid partitions found, Win7 will assign itself as C:. Once it's up and running, you can add other drives. It will assign drive letters using its own protocol but you can reassign them if you wish.

Collapse -
Installl the OS

In reply to: windows7 installed on wrong drive, I want to remove xp.

If your old "C" is not wanted with XP anymore, remove it or disconnect it completely. Make sure the remaining HD(120gb) is available as master. Now, restart the system and totally reload win7 again, but be sure you reformat in order to wipeout the old win7 install. Once done, it should be a bootable system. If OK, then add the old "C" drive and claim ownership or accept it. Again, if you don't want the old stuff, then using disk mgr., reformat that for re-use. Hopefully, that corrects your problem. I do strongly advise you check your EIDE cable on HD usage is the newer type, 40-pin/80-wire type, thus you can use CS vs the master/slave setup. The jumper should be present for CS. You gave no details on HD maker or model other than gb. You say no jumper, but most HDs do have jumpers, unless your is unique.

The reason for no NTLDR, is because it looks for the info on the original "C" HD. Because of the HDs new arrangement, etc. it loses track or doesn't match, thus I offer my solution. best to wipe out and restart all over, rather than any editing or jerry-rigging it. You may also want to use KILLDISK or DBAN to totally wipe out all data on any drive(solo) or google for details and pgm. source. I find using either will eliminate any past installs or remenats that cause issues later, its just better that way.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Installl the OS

Thanks very muchfor your kind help, I'll let you know how I get on.Regards, andy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.