Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp wont resume from standby

by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

i have recently had quite a lot of trouble trying to get my computer to resume from standby. this happened after i decided to bridge the network connections of the twisted pair ethernet running to the pc next to me (which also now has the same problem) and my usb wifi internet connection. the bridge worked, but i could no longer resume from standby. the pc either turns on to a black screen or comes to a screen but is frozen. i have to reset both to turn them off. any help would be appreciated.

my pcs

-intel core2 duo e6750 2.6 GHz
-8800 gt
-apevia 600 watt psu
-2 gb ocz platinum ddr2

-pentium 4 2.8 GHz
-evga 6200 256 mb
-2 gb ocz DDR ram
-everything else is stock

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp wont resume from standby
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp wont resume from standby
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Every time I fixed one of those it was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

Out of date BIOS and drivers for the motherboard and the devices that are involved with the networking.

Tell me about your methods to deal with drivers.

Collapse -
well i havent updated the board drivers yet but am trying to
by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

dont think video is an issue as i just updated the drivers after the incident

Collapse -
Checking your work...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 3:19 AM PDT

Is not possible so all I can do is share how I've fixed it everytime.

If you want the forum to check your work share the make, model of the board, bios version, etc so members can check your work.

Also, an old firewall would hang on resume. You can test for the by uninstalling that.

Collapse -
(NT) using an evga 680i lt mainboard
by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Checking your work...
Collapse -
btw all of these problems only arose after i made that netwo
by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Checking your work...

rk bridge

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 3:28 AM PDT

Your posts are not complete. Share the BIOS version, motherboard chipset version, etc that is currently installed.

As to the change about the network, while interesting the fixes I have used don't seem to care what the owner changed. Why do you think the network change matters?

Collapse -
by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: And...

it deosnt matter anymore anyways. i tried to reinstall the motherboard drivers and it resulted in a system failure, and i had to reinstall windows. so the problem sould be gone now. thank anyways.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I wonder why XP decided to tank over that. The only time that happened to me I was able to recover with something called "XP REPAIR INSTALL." See google about that.

Collapse -
writing back on a fresh OS.
by sonymaster101 / July 27, 2008 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

although i am never going to do what i believe led to the problem ever again.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?