Windows Legacy OS forum

Windows Xp wont install "BLUE SCREEN ERROR"

by geek100 / January 1, 2015 4:54 AM PST

I decided to install Win 7 on my old dell desktop but can't install "intel 82836g graphics controller" driver because these are only supported by Win xp . . .so now i am trying to install win xp now but when windows is just about to start installing after loading files this stupid error appear in blue screen "A problem has been detected Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer ...check for viruses and nely install hard drive and hard drive controllers RUn chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption " i have run chkdsk there were no errors found .... this error keeps on appearing SO PLEASE PEOPLE HELP ME OUT ... I'd really appreciate your help... and sorry for my bad english

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Xp wont install "BLUE SCREEN ERROR"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Xp wont install "BLUE SCREEN ERROR"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 2:19 PM PST

Is this desktop SATA based? XP's install can be very hard on folk. The message sounds like the usual but I can't tell much about the PC.

As to 7, why not install a 30 buck video card?

Collapse -
Any other way to install win xp..
by geek100 / January 1, 2015 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Thanks for help.. no it's not sata based's pata based,Is there any other way to install windows xp i mean without going into boot menu..can't i just plug usb windows 7 and install xp from there... Sad

Collapse -
Re: install XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 6:19 PM PST

XP must be installed from the CD. Not other way is supported.

What OS was originally on that "old Dell desktop"? And why does it need another?

Collapse -
by geek100 / January 2, 2015 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: install XP

I got new windows dvd and tried to install and it worked thank you so much for your help Happy

Collapse -
There are dozens of reaons XP fails to install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 11:54 PM PST

Since I don't know which Dell it was and more, here's the next failure I see too often.

Something is plugged into the USB ports or the machine isn't stock/blank. That is, if the HDD has some remnant of 7 there, XP installs do indeed fail.

-> Installing XP is all over the web so unless folk share what they are doing no one can guess the reason it failed. Installing XP in some unsupported way is also a big source of install woe.

Collapse -
did you try compatibility mode
by James Denison / January 1, 2015 9:53 PM PST
Collapse -
check this steps
by vembutech / January 11, 2015 4:38 PM PST

Hi, normally the BSOD issue will occur, because of the hardware changes, BIOS settings changes,antivirus, system files corrupted. In this case better you try the machine in the SAFE MODE option or LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. If this two options didn't work means you can try SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT and type this command to restore your PC. Command is "rstrui.exe" . If this all didn't work means you can try repair option with the help of the OS disk. Also check the below link.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?