Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp wont boot but there's a catch!

by BobbyBoSox / January 13, 2007 7:44 AM PST

Ok i got a difficult situation. I installed a software that messed up my computer for sure. Now i am unable to open Windows xp sp2.When i start my Toshiba laptop it tells me that windows can't be open because the system file is corrupted. Then it suggest me to run the windows cd to repair that. Everything seems easy but the hard thing is that even when i insert the windows cd in the middle of the file loading it says : *** file unavailable, impossible to setup windows.

So i think it's a virus that doesn't want me to repair it...
my question is: is there anything else i can try?
if not: what is the best way to access my harddrive in order to save my important files?

Thank you!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp wont boot but there's a catch!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp wont boot but there's a catch!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a CheckDisk/R From With In Safe Mode......
by tobeach / January 13, 2007 4:28 PM PST

When you start your machine , tap the F8 key about every second ( in certain XP versions holding down "CTRL" key does same). This should bypass/abort normal load attempt. When offered choices: Use your up/down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" & hit ENTER key. Don't worry about visual changes you see: They will revert back to normal at next normal boot. Now Follow This:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard back-up copy of sys
files if copy is ok ( even if current are corrupted).
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand.

Since this start-up by passes most of everything, many items blocking normal start are not loaded (only absolute minimum are used).
Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Try this.
by Papa Echo / January 13, 2007 8:32 PM PST

Try booting up in Safe Mode, hoping that it does not require that correupte system file. If you are able to do that, use system Restore to roll back to when it worked. If you are happy about that, you still have to clean up the system for possible viruses, etc. and to remove the "bad" restore points.

Collapse -
I believe your current installation
by tcantrelln / January 13, 2007 9:25 PM PST

Is Hosed! To save your important files my best recommendation is to locate an external enclosure, or laptop HD adapter and install it as a slave on a good working desktop, extract your files, then using something like MES (Erasure suite) zap the disk, (Very possibly something in the PBR, MBR, or the rest of the first 63 clusters is your problem) then your XP cd should reinstall from scratch- if not, still, you have a bad optical drive, or a defective CD...

Collapse -
Just been there for another missing drivers
by DarCLew2 / January 14, 2007 2:02 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?